The undergraduate program in Health Promotion and Lifestyle Management (HPRO) equips
students to educate and inspire others to make lifestyle changes for improved health.
The program focuses on developing key competencies and skills needed by health promotion
- good communication skills
- ability to plan, organize, deliver, and evaluate programs, events, and campaigns for
individuals, groups, organizations and governments
- understanding and application of theories and practices of behavior change
- familiarity with the current health promotion trends and research findings
- ability to work independently and as part of a team
The Health Promotion and Lifestyle Management program includes 41 hours of General
Education, 17 hours for the major of Health and Human Performance, 49 hours in the
Health Promotion and Lifestyle Management (HPRO) concentration, and 13 elective hours.
Class sizes in the HPRO concentration area are set to allow for the use of a variety
of teaching methods with an emphasis on application and professional development.
Upon completing the program, students are well prepared to seek certifications offered
by professional organizations including the National Commission for Health Education
Credentialing Inc. (NCHEC), American College of Sports Medicine, WELCOA and Wellcoaches.
Graduating students are well-prepared to enter graduate school in the areas of health
promotion, public health, allied health and associated disciplines. Note: Students
should seek the guidance of the Academic Services Coordinator and the pre-health professional
advisor with regards to needed pre-requisite courses for graduate school admission.
Undergraduate students in Health Promotion and Lifestyle Management are required to
complete a 6 credit hour (240 contact hours)internship, which is usually completed in the final semester along with a Senior Project. Our
students have interned in a variety of settings including (but not limited to):
- Church Health Center
- FedEx Corporate Wellness
- Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi
- Memphis VA Medical Center
- Coordinated School Health
- Youth Villages
- Assisi Foundation
- Fitness Centers (Lifetime, DAC, YMCA, Crossfit)