University of Memphis Photo
Career Services
Internship Success Stories

Cary Littlejohn"My internship at Baldwin, Molina & Escoto, Attorneys at Law in Washington, D. C. was a great experience. I consider it a defining moment in not only my educational career but also my life in general. Spending time day in and day out in a courtroom was an amazing experience. The best novelists would have had trouble coming up with some of the cases I observed, and it was almost surreal to be part of the action as a 20-year-old college student. It was a great feeling to know that I impacted people's lives and helped fight for them when their freedom was on the line."

—Cary Littlejohn

Academic Credit

Academic Credit for Internship Experience

If you are interested in receiving academic credit for an internship experience, first consult with your academic advisor. If your department does not offer academic credit for an internship experience, or you are maxed out on your internship hours within your major, you may choose to enroll in UNIV 4000-Community Internship course that is available for all majors.

* As of Fall 2015 the prefix of UNIV 4000 will become ELC 4000. Please be ware of this change in all course listings that identify the course under Experiential Learning Credit (ELC). 

UNIV 4000 - Community Internship (3-6 semester hours) offers extensive professional preparation as an intern in a community setting that may limit student's enrollment in other courses.


- Permission of student's academic advisor (denoted by signature on internship contract)

- Internship offer letter and/or position description

- Academic Good Standing

Note: Students enrolled in UNIV 4000 are considered to be full time students for enrollment certification purposes. If you have questions concerning your eligibility for aid, please contact DebraAnn Brown, Associate Director, Financial Aid and Scholarships at

Download an overview of UNIV 4000 here. 

The completed learning contract must be approved by your internship site supervisor and your academic advisor. Once these documents have been reviewed and approved, you will then receive a permit to register for UNIV 4000.

To request a leave of absence, submit a Personal or Medical Leave of Absence Request form and supporting documents to the Scholarship Office in 201 Wilder Tower.

For additional information regarding UNIV 4000 contact Academic Internships at or 901-678-3260.

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 4/6/15