The University of Memphis Sustainable Campus (Green) Fee Committee provides funding
for approved proposals to make the University of Memphis campus more sustainable.
Approximately $360,000 is generated annually by the Green Fee paid by University students.
President Raines has stated, "To address environmental challenges, we are becoming
a leader in sustainable technologies and practices while acting as a model for the
Selected students will be provided the opportunity to work with a campus or community
partner to enhance the student's understanding of sustainability and to assist in
the organization's efforts to promote sustainability.
Spring 2012 Green Interns
Fall 2011 Green Interns
What is a green internship? A green internship is an educational/work experience sponsored by an organization
that promotes sustainability in areas such as:
- Energy efficiency
- Utility conservation
- Environmental protection
Who is eligible to apply for a green internship? Undergraduate students who have:
- active status in the Student Support Services (SSS) Program
- minimum sophomore standing at time of application
- minimum 2.75 grade point average
- minimum of one or more regular semesters (fall/spring) remaining before graduation
What are the green internship requirements? Students selected for a Green Internship are required to:
- participate in Green Internship Preparation Workshop(s)
- satisfactorily complete an approved learning contract
- Internship Course in Academic Major or
- UNIV 4000 - Community Internship
- earn 3 semester hours of academic credit
- work 150 clock hours during the semester
- present internship experience at Green Internships Recognition Event
What do selected green interns earn? Interns earn a stipend of $10 per hour or $1500 for the semester plus $200 to assist
with tuition costs for an academic internship for a total of $1700. University stipends
of $425 will be distributed at the end of January, February, March and April, 2013.
Where do selected green interns work? Students may apply to complete a green internship with a variety of campus or community
partners committed to sustainability. Partners will be consulted and may choose to
interview potential green intern(s).
What types of activities do green interns perform?
- Project Management
- Public Relations
- Social Media
- Special Events
For more information contact Kelly Penwell at email@example.com