Dr. Susan Elswick, Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Memphis Department of Social Work, recently received a $2,500.00 book grant from Gump Trip and the Golden Coral Foundation (ChildTrust) through First Book-Mid-South. The grant awarded 1, 000 free books to 190 preschool children that attend the Memphis City Schools/ Head Start program at Ridgeway Early Learning Center (RELC).
In conjunction with the generous book donation, Dr. Elswick provided her time and expertise to create a social-emotional educational curriculum specific to each donated book. The book themed curriculum includes both teacher and parent activities aimed at improving social skills and empathy. The classroom based activities will be used to enhance emotional learning and improve social outcomes for the children in the school. The parent curriculum is aimed at encouraging parents to read to their children, discuss feelings and emotions, and encourage healthy emotional outcomes through daily parent-child activities.The curriculum will be made available to the teachers and parents at the RELC program, but will also be made available to the public via MCS, Shelby County Head Start, and University of Memphis websites.
To view or download the curriculum please follow the links below:
- My Many Colored Days-Teacher's Edition
- The Grouchy Ladybug-Teacher's Edition
- Elizabeti's Doll- Teacher's Edition
- I Was So Mad- Teacher's Edition
- First Day Jitters- Teacher's Edition
- My Many Colored Days-Parent's Edition
- The Grouchy Ladybug-Parent's Edition
- Elizabeti's Doll- Parent's Edition
- I Was So Mad- Parent's Edition
- First Day Jitters- Parent's Edition