Admission & Advising
- Accept responsibility for academic choices.
- Know basic university, school, and unit graduation requirements for your chosen major and concentration well enough to plan your own progress toward degree completion.
- Maintain personal copies of your tentative degree plan, progress reports, and transfer credit evaluations until the official graduation application is processed.
- Develop social, academic, and career goals and examine how these goals will affect your life and the lives of persons important to you.
How do I make an appointment?
Make an appointment with your advisor via SSC Campus or use the mobile app Guide - College Simplified. If you are unable to make an appointment, call the School of Health Studies main office at 901-678-4316.
Who is my advisor?
New to the School of Health studies? Want to declare your major in Health Studies or Physical Education Teacher Education?
Please call the School of Health Studies main office at 901-678-4316, and we will help you make an appointment with one of our advisors.
How do I prepare for advising?
Consult the appropriate advising checklist.
Review the degree sheet for your program of study.
Consult UMDegree through the Student tab on MyMemphis. Visit the UMDegree Student Guide (pdf) for more instructions.
When should I make an advising appointment?
You should see your advisor at least once per semester. Make your advising appointment at least 3-4 weeks before registration begins. See Semester Dates & Deadlines Calendars for registration dates.
I already know which classes I want. Do I still have to see my advisor?
You may qualify for self-advising.
If you plan to graduate next semester, it's time to check out for graduation by following the two steps below:
- Complete all of the prerequisites to apply for graduation through the Commencement Office.
- Make an appointment to meet with your advisor.