Credit by Exam

Both undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to earn college credit by taking and passing examinations. The undergraduate process is more detailed and is discussed in detail below. The graduate process is discussed in the Graduate Catalog (see links below).


The University's policy regarding undergraduate Credit by Exam can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. Below is a more detailed view of the requirements and process.

Who may apply for Credit by Exam?

  • Enrolled/admitted undergraduates must have a 2.000 GPA (combined college level and Transitional Academic Studies courses GPA) in order to apply. If you have been admitted but have not yet enrolled for courses at UofM, credit earned by exam will be posted after enrollment.
  • You cannot earn Credit by Exam if you have already taken the course for credit.

What is the exam like?

  • The details of the exam--method and time--are left to the discretion of colleges and departments.

What is a passing grade and what does it look like on my student record?

  • To receive credit, your exam grade should be equivalent to at least a "C."
  • If you pass, a grade of "S" (Satisfactory) is entered into your official records.

How many courses can I earn credit for through Credit by Examination?

  • You may apply for as many courses as you wish, but each application is subject to the review and approval outlined below.

How does it work?

Follow the process outlined on the "Application for Undergraduate Credit by Examination" form. The steps are outlined below. Though you will be most concerned with "Student Actions", please read all three lists to understand the process.

Student Actions

  1. Print the Undergraduate Credit by Examination form or go to the Registrar's Office, 003 Wilder Tower, and request a copy of the form. Complete section I (your personal/enrollment information). The Registrar's Office must complete section II (Certification of Eligibility).
  2. Next, take the form to your advisor, first, and then to the chair of the department offering the course. Both must sign and date your form in section III (Permission/Review), giving you permission to take the exam.
  3. Now, take the signed form to the Bursar's Office to pay the test/course fees.
    These fees must be paid prior to the exam and are non-refundable.
  4. Finally, take the form and the original payment receipt you received from the Bursar (not a copy) to the department offering the course. The department will complete section IV of the form (Cost), retain the form, and administer the test.

Academic Department Actions

  1. The department chair should complete and sign section V (Certification of Credit by Examination) if the student passes the examination.
  2. The department sends/delivers the completed form to the Office of Admissions, Applicant Services, room 101 of Wilder Tower, FAX# 3053.

Admissions Office Actions

  1. Admissions loads the credit to the student's academic record and then forwards a notice of credit granted to both the student and the Dean of the College of the student's major.



Refer to the "Academic Regulations" section (Credit by Exam and Course Validation) of the Graduate Catalog for guidelines and instructions pertaining to Graduate Credit by Examination.

Visit the Graduate School's Forms page for links to its "Credit by Examination/Course Validation" form.

Contact the Graduate School if you have further questions about Graduate Credit by Examination.