Errors and Problems
Below is a list of errors you might encounter when trying to register for classes. If you encounter an error not discussed here, of if you need further clarification, contact the Registrar (901.678.2810 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Academic Standing Prohibits Registration
- Logout and contact the Center for Academic Retention and Enrichment Services.
Alternate PIN Screen
- No entry is valid: you need to be advised and cleared to register. Contact your advisor/advising unit.
Authorization Failure - Invalid Alternate PIN.
- No entry for Alternate PIN is valid. Contact your advisor/advising unit to be cleared to register.
- You are trying to enroll in a course that is not appropriate for your student classification--Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior. (For example, if you have Sophomore standing or higher, you cannot enroll in ACAD 1100.) You will not be able to register for this course unless you receive a permit.
- All of the seats allotted for the section have been filled; you will not be able to register for this section unless you receive a permit.
- You are attempting to add a course that requires one or more co-requisites, that is, another course or courses that must be taken along with the course you have entered. You need to add ALL required courses in one submission.
DUPL CRSE WITH SEC...
- You have already added this course. If you wish to change sections, perform a drop-add in one submission.
- You are trying to take a course/section that is not appropriate for your level--Undergraduate, Graduate, or Law.
- You have added only the lecture or lab section of a course that requires that both the lab and the lecture be taken together in the term. Add both sections in one submission.
- You have tried to enroll in a course that is restricted to a particular major or majors; you cannot register for this course without a permit.
MAXIMUM HOURS EXCEEDED
- You cannot exceed the maximum course load for your level without receiving special permission. Refer to your Catalog for more information.
No Term Available
- You will receive this error when you try to register, or add or drop classes, when registration for the term you have selected has been disabled. Term registration downtimes are announced in advance on the Registrar's "Notice!" page. When required, this downtime is usually scheduled overnight between 4:30pm on a Friday and 8:00am on Saturday and is done because required maintenance or software updates must be performed.
- You may register for this section only if you have a permit.
PREQ and TEST SCORE-ERROR
- The registration system has no record of your having taken this course's required prerequisite or having tested out of the prerequisite. Example, you want ENGL 1020 but you have neither passed ENGL 1010 (or its equivalent), nor tested out of ENGL 1010.
REPEAT COUNT EXCEEDS...
- Some courses may be repeated for credit, but only for a limited number of times. You are attempting to add a course that you have already taken and passed for the limit. To take it again, you will have to be granted a permit.
"SR" appears before classes listed in your "Look Up Classes" results
- SR = Student Restriction. "SR" rather than a registration check box may appear in
your Search results if:
TIME CONFLICT WITH ...
- You are trying to register for two or more courses whose meeting times overlap. Adjust your schedule, or request a permit for minor time conflicts (ex., one class ends at 9:15 but another starts at 9:15).
- If you have registered for a Combo section, you are more likely to receive this error than someone who hasn't. Combo sections have two meeting patterns--a MW pattern and a TR pattern, and you must attend both meeting patterns. Because the TR pattern is listed below the MW pattern in "Look Up Classes," students often overlook the TR pattern. This can lead to the Time Conflict problem: another TR course you have registered for is likely in conflict with the Combo's TR pattern.
TOO MANY REGISTRATION ATTEMPTS
- The registration system allows you 2000 attempts at adding or dropping classes per term. Once you exceed this maximum, you are "locked out" of that term's online registration. If you are locked out, go to the Registrar's Office, 003 Wilder Tower for assistance.
You are only permitted to register for [11.999 or 8.999] hours due to outstanding immunization requirements. Please submit proof of MMR if full-time registration is desired.
- The University does not have a record of your Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) immunization. Unless this is on file with Student Health Services, you will be restricted to a part-time course load. For more information, see Immunization: MMR.
You have attempted to access a disabled page.
- You entered something in the SEARCH field in the top left-hand corner of the screen. This search field has been disabled on all Self Service screens at UofM because it allowed students direct access to registration features they were not authorized to use.
You have no Registration Time Ticket. Please contact the registration administrator.
- You cannot register yet for one of these reasons: (1) You have not been fully accepted for admission. Call Undergraduate Admissions at 901.678.2111 or Graduate Admissions at 901.678-3685 to inquire about your admission status. (2) You need to be readmitted because you did not attend during the last Fall or Spring term. (3) It's too early for someone in your classification to register. Refer to the term's Dates & Deadlines calendar for your first day to register.
You require re-admission prior to registration.
- When you skip a Fall or Spring term, you must apply for readmission.
- Normally, you are allowed to skip the Summer term. However, if you apply for admission/readmission
to the Summer term, but don't take any Summer classes, you will receive the re-admission
error message if you try to register for Fall. Since you didn't take Summer classes,
the registration system "thinks" you decided not to attend at all.
Furthermore, if you admit or readmit for Summer and register for both Summer and Fall classes, you will run into a problem with your Fall schedule if you drop your Summer schedule during the Summer Drop Period. You won't be able to access your Fall schedule because, the registration system now considers you an Inactive rather than Active student, and it will not allow an Inactive student to register. Once you apply for readmission to the Fall, you will be able to modify your Fall schedule.
Your Faculty or Advisor is reviewing your registration at this time. Please try again later.
- Since your advisor has your registration record under review, you cannot update it. Once the advisor closes the record, you will be able to access your record. If in some rare instance you find that the record is locked for a very long time (hours), you should probably contact your advisor.