International Student Ambassadors
International Student Ambassadors are a group of dedicated students who generously volunteer their time to welcome new international students and help them transition to living in Memphis and campus life at the UofM.
- Volunteer 5-10 hours a week with the program. Tasks may include but are not limited
- Assist with International New Student Orientation
- Assist with airport pick-up for international students
- Serve as an available resource for international students
- Respond to email or WhatsApp inquiries
- Assist with programming for international students
- Provide information about campus life and answer student questions
- Welcome international visitors to campus
- Identify opportunities to advocate for the international student community
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must have no holds on record
- Must have good communication and friendly attitude
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member
- Must collaborate with CIES staff & ISA executive team
- Must be available to attend training & meetings
- Must commit to the position for a full semester
- Paid hourly
- Develop public speaking, teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Network with University staff and fellow Ambassadors
- Receive a certificate of participation and letter of reference from International Programs
- Ambassadors are expected to hold this role for one academic year with the opportunity to re-apply for subsequent terms provided that all the qualifications and expectations have been successfully met by the student
- Attend ISA meetings
- Participate in the Ambassador training prior to International Student Orientation
- Engage with new international students during Orientation and throughout the academic year
Meet Our Ambassadors
Tabatha Pena Riquelme
Academic Level: Junior
Academic Major: Commercial Aviation with a minor in German
Home country: Mexico
Languages: Spanish, English, working on German :)
Fun fact about me: I love being outdoors.
Favorite thing about the UofM: The friendships I have made.
Uzair Afnan Khan
Academic Level: Freshman
Academic Major: Civil Engineering
Hometown: Hyderabad, Telangana State India
Languages: English, Hindi, Telugu, and Urdu
Fun fact about me: I have never broken a bone and I'm not allergic to anything.
Favorite thing about the UofM: Apart from academics- the welcomeness of the community.
Academic Level: Graduate
Academic Major: Information Systems
Hometown: Nellore, Andrah Pradesh India
Languages: English, Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, and Kannada
Fun fact about me: I am a good listener and I am good at cooking.
Favorite thing about the UofM: The University has a great environment for learning and rich campus heritage makes us feel like real Tigers!
Academic Level: Graduate
Academic Major: Information System
Hometown: Kathmandu, Nepal
Languages: English, Nepali, Hindi
Fun fact about me: I never say NO to food. I am always ready to eat anytime.
Favorite thing about the UofM: I really like the resources and infrastructure of university mainly swimming pool and recreation center.