Paid Parental Leave
The University of Memphis is committed to providing a work environment that is supportive of employees’ work and personal life obligations. In demonstration of this commitment, six (6) weeks (225 hours) of Paid Parental Leave is provided to eligible faculty and staff employees following the birth or adoption of a child, offering parents the opportunity to bond with their new child and balance their professional obligations.
Eligibility for Paid Parental Leave is determined based on the following criteria:
- Employee must be the biological parent or adoptive parent.
- Faculty (includes post-docs) and staff employed in a regular position regardless of FTE.
- Faculty must be on an active contract during the time the leave is being sought.
- The employee must be continuously employed by the University in a regular position for at least twelve (12) months prior to the birth or adoption of the child.
- The Paid Parental Leave will end immediately, if the employee no longer meets the criteria for eligibility. For example, if the employee voluntarily or involuntarily transfers to an ineligible position, or separates from the University while on Paid Parental Leave.
Surrogate mothers and sperm donors are not eligible for Paid Parental Leave.
Leave Request Procedure
The employee should notify his or her department of their intention to request Paid Parental Leave. The employee should provide the department with the anticipated timing and duration of the leave.
To receive Paid Parental Leave, the employee must complete the Paid Parental Leave Request Form, and submit the approved form to the Department of Human Resources for review and processing at least three (3) months prior to the start of the leave. It is understood that under certain circumstances it may not be feasible to provide three (3) month notice; in these cases, the employee must provide notice as soon as practicable.