UofM Language Fair Teacher of the Year
At every annual University of Memphis Language Fair, a MidSouth world language teacher of courses earning high school credit is recognized as the University of Memphis Language Fair Teacher of the Year.
ELIGIBILITY FOR TEACHER OF THE YEAR
NEW: Nominees must have had registered students in the UofM Language Fair within the past two years.
Nominations are encouraged for past candidates who did not win the award. Once a teacher wins the UofM Language Fair Teacher of the Year Award, they are no longer eligible to be nominated again.
- Nominations require a nomination letter and at least one letter of recommendation.
- The nomination letter and the letter of recommendation cannot come from the same person.
- The nomination letter must include:
- Nominee's Name
- Language instructed
- Level(s) instructed
- Nominations/Letters of recommendation may be made by students, fellow teachers, or school administrators.
- Nominations must include at least one letter of recommendation in which the nominee's personal commitment to world language education is directly addressed. A maximum of three letters of recommendation from students, fellow teachers, or school administrators are allowed.
The nomination letter and at least one letter of recommendation MUST be emailed from an official school email address to email@example.com with "Teacher of the Year" in the Subject line.
AWARD SELECTION AND PRESENTATION
- Once a complete nomination is received, the Fair co-directors will contact the nominee and request the following from the nominee: (1) an updated CV or resume and (2) a philosophy of teaching statement.
- The University of Memphis Language Fair committee will select the recipient of the award.
- Qualities especially to be regarded in considering the candidates include but are not limited to overall teaching ability and success, pedagogical innovation, promotion of world language study at the secondary level and in general, professional activity relevant to foreign language study, organization of special events or programs at nominee's school, etc.
- Presentation of the award is made at the Language Fair Awards Ceremony on the day of the Language Fair.
Pictured (left to right): Jackie Robert (EF Tours), Jessica Charlton (Medical District High School), Maria Magee (White Station High School), Malia Rummell (EF Tours), Nacole Espada (East High School), Robert Kelz (Chair, University of Memphis Department of World Languages and Literatures).
Maria Olaiz Magee, Spanish Teacher from White Station High School was selected by the 2023 UofM Language Fair Committee as the 2023 UofM Language Fair Teacher of the Year. She received a $500 domestic flight voucher from EF Education First.
Magee and the other two nominees, Jessica Charlton (Spanish Teacher from Medical District High School) and Nacole Espada (Spanish Teacher from East High School), also received a book set of classical Spanish literature from Vista Higher Learning.
Follow us on social media to keep up with the latest news about the Fair. You can look for us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter by searching for the username @UofMLangFair or clicking on the icons below.