Welcome to the Department of World Languages and Literatures!
The Department of World Languages and Literatures offers instruction in eleven world languages:
The University of Memphis offers a bachelor's degree in World Languages, with a single-language concentration or a two- or three-language concentration. Single concentration majors are offered in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish. Concentrations in Portuguese and Russian are available in two- or three-language concentrations.
Undergraduate minors are available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Classical Studies, Russian, and Spanish.
The Master of Arts is offered in Romance Languages, with a concentration in either French or Spanish. Courses are available in literature, linguistics, civilization, and language for specific purposes.
The department's faculty members actively engaged in research, instruction, and service.
Visit the various pages of our website for more information about our many programs.
Opportunities for Students
What other opportunities can you enjoy in our department?
- Award-winning teaching and research faculty, many of them native speakers
- Eligibility for the Mary Pettus Thomas Scholarship for world language majors
- International Film Festivals
- Language Clubs and Leadership Opportunities
- WLL Student Ambassadors
- Study Abroad: semester, full-year, and summer abroad programs for academic credit
- Weekly Language Conversation Tables
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us in Jones Hall 108 on the main campus of the University of Memphis.