Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) | Pre-licensure
The Loewenberg College of Nursing traditional BSN program provides education and training for pre-licensure nursing students to receive a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and be eligible, upon graduation, to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) required for registered nurse (RN) licensure. The curriculum is based on requirements of the Tennessee Board of Nursing (TBON), as well as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). The program includes standard core content (pathophysiology, pharmacology, health assessment, foundational nursing skills, evidence-based practice), nursing and clinical content across the lifespan (maternity/OB, newborn, pediatrics, adult, older adult), and content on the profession (mental health, professional nursing, leadership and management, ethics, policy, and transition to practice).
- Admitted to the University of Memphis as a degree-seeking undergraduate student.
- Minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.0
- Minimum Nursing Program prerequisite GPA of 3.0 for the following courses:
- CHEM 1010/1011 – Chemistry of Materials/Lab (or CHEM 1110/1111 – General Chemistry/Lab)
- BIOL 2010/2011 – Anatomy and Physiology I/Lab
- BIOL 2020/2021– Anatomy and Physiology II/Lab
- BIOL 1230/1231 – Microbiology/Lab
- MATH 1530 – Probability & Statistics
- NUTR 2202 – Nutrition
- EDPR 2111 – Development Across Lifespan (or PSYC 2130—Lifespan Dev Psychology)
- Only 1 Nursing Program Prerequisite course may be repeated only once, including labs. If repeated the second earned letter grade of the repeated course will be used in the prerequisite GPA calculation (regardless of if grade is higher or lower). The first letter grade for all remaining Nursing Program Prerequisite courses will be used in the prerequisite GPA calculation.
- PSYC 1030 – General Psychology is required as General Education Social Science with a C- or better.
- All General Education courses and all Nursing Program prerequisite courses must be completed or in-progress at the date of application. The courses must be complete prior to starting the Nursing Program.
- A minimum of 60 hours must be complete prior to starting the Nursing Program.
- Required documentation: (1) Resume; (2) Letter of Interest; (3) Reference Letter
- Clearance of all high school deficiencies.
- Science courses must be completed within seven (5) years of LCON admission. In-person sciences are preferred.
- Students transferring from another Nursing program must submit a letter of good standing from the Dean/Director of the previous Nursing program along with a transcript. Transfer applicants with less than a grade of “C” in a Nursing course will not be eligible. This includes repeated Nursing courses in which a grade above “C” was earned.
- All transcripts from every college attended must be sent, received, and evaluated by UofM Admissions Office.
- Applicants must be admitted to the UofM or an active UofM current student for the Term in which they wish to start LCON.
For detailed information about the BSN program, including policies, course names and descriptions, visit the Undergraduate Catalog.
Apply to BSN Program
Once accepted to the University of Memphis; students will apply for admission to the Loewenberg College of Nursing. Click "Apply Now" to apply.
|Entry Semester||Application Opens||Application Deadline|
|Fall Admission||Septermber 15||February 15|
|Spring Admission||March 1||September 1|
Dr. Joy Hoffman
Dr. Jeremy N. Whittaker