Advancing Nursing Science
LCON is dedicated to enhancing the University's research capacity by providing support and resources to faculty and students to successfully conduct research in the community and healthcare settings. Ultimately creating valuable hands-on, knowledge-based experiences for our students to achieve research success. As an academic nursing leader, LCON is committed to ongoing research, scientific inquiries, scholarly pursuits and quality initiatives that generates knowledge to guide nursing practice and improve patient outcomes.
For more than 50 years, LCON has been committed to the preparation of nursing professionals who share a common goal of promoting health of the global community. Faculty at LCON are committed to generating and advancing nursing knowledge through discovery, application and integration. Our faculty have a diverse research/scholarship background and areas of research/scholarship are focused on:
- Achieving Health Equity (improving health behaviors, reducing health disparities, clinical management of chronic conditions, quality of life across lifespan, nursing interventions for the vulnerable, health equity for the LGBTQ, building a culture of health for urban children and families, equitable healthcare policies)
- Cardiovascular Care (promoting self management, technology assisted care, prevention and risk assessment)
- Educational Research (educational strategies to retain minority students, building nursing workforce, accelerated nursing education, diversity in higher education, simulation in education)
- Community Health Research (maternal health, grandparenting, lactation support, health disparities)
With abundant interdisciplinary research opportunities, LCON collaborates with many scientific disciplines on campus and beyond.
Nursing leads the way and advances health through collaborative efforts to achieve better population health, better health care and lower healthcare cost. Nursing practice aims to improve patient care outcomes by using evidence-based practice and continuous quality improvement. It is imperative that academic nursing commits to ongoing research, scientific inquiries and scholarly pursuit that generates knowledge to guide nursing practice. Our faculty have a variety of research backgrounds and conduct research in several areas centered around the theme Health Equity Research.
- Achieving Health Equity - Reducing Health Disparities and Vulnerable Populations
- Building a Culture of Health for Urban Children and Families
- Cardiovascular Health
- Education Research – Diversity, Retention, Leadership and Mentoring
- Health Behaviors in Women, Children, and Older Adults
- Health Promotion Across the Lifespan
- Health Policy
- Oncology Health
- Palliative Care
- Technology – Telehealth, Simulation, Virtual Reality
- Tobacco Cessation
- Quality of Life
Faculty Research and Grants
PhD Student Research
Academic-practice partnerships is key to preparing nursing students, advancing nursing science and transforming health care to improve health outcomes of patients, families and communities.
- More than 300 clinical and community affiliations have created a productive partnership structure in Memphis and beyond
- A dedicated educational unit in Le Bonheur Children's Hospital Medical Specialities Unit was established to enhance clinical education for students
- A Nursing Residency Program was established in partnership with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, helping graduates transition into professional nursing practice
- Baptist Memorial Health Care has provided fellowships for the Executive MSN program to prepare nurse leaders at bedside