Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is Dual Enrollment?
An opportunity for high school students to earn college credit while meeting the requirements for high school graduation.
2. What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment?

Getting a head start on college by earning college credit while meeting high school graduation requirements.

3. What is the difference in School Based and Campus Based Dual Enrollment?
The high school based initiative is a special program offered at several area high schools. The campus based "concurrent enrollment" program refers to courses taken on the main campus or satellite campuses. Concurrent enrollment has different admissions standards.
4. How many courses can a student take per term?
The high school based program will allow two per semester. The main campus program allows one per semester.
5. Can I use these courses toward high school graduation?
Yes, with the approval of your high school.
6. Do you have specific courses offered for Dual Enrollment?
Consult your high school guidance counselor for the course offerings at your school. Common courses offered in this program include English Composition, U.S. History, College Algebra, Elementary Calculus, and Biology. Some schools are offering other courses.
7. Will Dual Enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?
It has been our experience that in most cases the courses transfer without a problem. However, I would consult the school(s) you are planning to attend after high school graduation to be sure.
8. If I leave the school mid-semester, may I continue my Dual Enrollment class at my new school?
If the new high school does not offer the same Dual Enrollment course through the University of Memphis, the student would not be able to continue in the UofM dual enrollment program.
9. One of my parents is a state employee or works at the University of Memphis.  Will I receive an additional discount for my Dual Enrollment class?
The cost of the high school based program courses has already been significantly discounted and therefore additional discounts do not apply. However, those discounts may be applied to those courses taken on the main campus that have not been discounted.
10. What if I do not have a test score, am I eligible to take a course?
Students must have taken the ACT, SAT, PSAT, PLAN or ASPIRE prior to entering the program. The PSAT, PLAN, or ASPIRE can only be used if the student has not taken the ACT or SAT.
11. If I do not meet the requirements, can I get an exception?
Exceptions are not typically granted for this program but will be evaluated on an individual basis if requested by the high school.
12. Where can I get an application for Dual Enrollment?
The dual enrollment online application link can be found on the dual enrollment web site.
13. What is the deadline to apply for Campus Based Dual Enrollment?
Application should be submitted by July 1 for the fall term and December 1 for the spring term.
14. Where can I find more information about the Dual Enrollment program?
15. How can I obtain a UUID and password that will enable me to use university library resources?
The information you need is on your acceptance letter from the Admissions Office. If you no longer have that letter, you can call Information Technology support office (678-8888) and identify yourself as a Dual Enrollment student to request your User Name and Temporary Password. You must be prepared to give the technician either a Social Security number or your student U number (individual student U numbers are listed on the class rosters sent to teachers early in the semester)
16. Are there specific courses offered for Dual Enrollment at your institution for the Campus Based program?
There are no specific courses that are offered just for Dual Enrollment students. Once a student decides what subject they are interested in the student will be required to seek approval from the academic department to enroll in the selected class.
17. Is financial aid available for Dual Enrollment?
The lottery based dual enrollment grant can be used for all dual enrollment programs if the student is eligible.
18. What is the Dual Enrollment Grant and how much does it cover for each course?
The dual enrollment grant is funded through the state lottery and is available to apply toward the cost of courses at the selected college. Refer to the link below for additional information on the grant amounts.

Dual Enrollment Grant

19. Where can I find the Dual Enrollment online grant application?
Dual Enrollment Grant
20. Can I take a course in the Summer and still use the Dual Enrollment Grant?
The dual enrollment grant may be available in the summer if you haven't already used up your eligibility.
21. What are the fees for one course?
Consult your high school advisor for cost information for the high school based program.
22. I received a letter / phone call saying that I will be dropped from the class for nonpayment of fees. What do I do?
If you have paid your fees to your high school, you will not be dropped. The computer has generated a response that does not apply to Dual Enrollment students. Contact your high school counselor.
23.  If I am home schooled, am I still eligible to take a course?
Home School students may qualify for the "joint enrollment" option and we offer courses online or on a UofM Campus for Home School students.


24. If I decide to withdraw from the course, what do I do?
Contact your counselor immediately.
25. How do I order a transcript to be sent to other colleges or universities to which I am applying?
To order a an official transcript, go to the link below. https://www.memphis.edu/registrar/students/records/transcript-official.php
26. How do I obtain textbooks and other required materials for my class?
Consult your high school counselor regarding textbooks for your dual enrollment course.