Statement on Minors on Campus
In April of 2018, President M. David Rudd issued a Statement on Minors on Campus affirming the University of Memphis' commitment to the safety of minors and establishing requirements for hosting minors on campus. As part of the University's continuing commitment to protecting this vulnerable population, those requirements have been strengthened and streamlined allowing for even greater safeguards.
Registration and Approval Process for Academic and Staff Departments: In order to operate a University-sponsored youth program, you must register and receive approval in advance from the Office of Educational Initiatives.
- Registration with Educational Initiatives. Educational Initiatives will perform a risk management analysis and determine whether the program should be approved. During this process your Program Coordinator should work with Educational Initiatives to answer any necessary questions.
- Final Approval. If your program is approved, Educational Initiatives will secure the appropriate department and division approvals. Once all necessary approvals have been secured, the Program Coordinator will be notified.
- Risk Management Training. All Program Coordinators must complete an in-person risk management training. Available training opportunities can be accessed via Learning Curve at https://bf.memphis.edu/training/; select Legal: Guess Who's Coming to CAMPus.
- TBI Background Check. A TBI background check is required for any camp staff (employees and volunteers) who will be alone with children during the duration of the program. If you are in possession of a TBI Background Check report dated within five (5) years of employment, please send a digital copy in lieu of starting a new background check. Individuals who have received a full background check with sex offender registry through Human Resources may also use that info in lieu of a new background check.
- Volunteers. The Program Coordinator should have all non-University camp staff complete a volunteer form. The Volunteer Form can be accessed on the Office of Legal Counsel website. http://www.memphis.edu/legal/volunteerforms1.pdf and should be submitted to the Office of Legal Counsel at least seven (7) days prior to the first day of the program or activity.
- Learning Curve Training. All camp staff must complete the Minors on Campus training in Learning Curve and acknowledge receipt of the Minors on Campus guidelines. The Program Coordinator should maintain a copy of the acknowledgement as well as verification from Learning Curve that training has been completed.
More information about registration and the required background checks can be found here.
Departments wishing to partner with external entities for the provision of space should direct those entities to either Conference and Event Services or Residence Life Conference Housing unless the department wishes to assume sole responsibility for the program or activity. In such case, the department should contact Educational Initiatives to discuss.