Admissions Requirements for MPA, MNM & Graduate Certificates
Applicants for the Master of Public Administration, Master of Nonprofit Management and Graduate Certificate programs must satisfy all requirements for admission to the Graduate School and receive a favorable endorsement from the public administration faculty. Admissions decisions are based on undergraduate GPA and additional information provided by a resume, two letters of recommendation and a personal statement of interest. Standardized examination scores, such as the GRE, GMAT, or MAT, are not required for admission but students are welcome to include examination scores if they wish.
The following criteria are used when considering an application:
1) Undergraduate grade point average
We generally prefer applicants to have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, or a GPA of 3.0 in their last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework.
2) Résumé documenting previous education and/or experience
3) Two References
The applicant provides the names and e-mail addresses of two people you wish to use as references. We will contact them and request they submit a letter of recommendation.
4) Statement of interest
This statement should articulate the applicant's experience, career goals and education objectives related to the pursuit of the MPA degree. The personal statement should be 500-700 words in length.
5) OPTIONAL Standardized examination score
Applicants are welcome to submit a standardized examination scores to help strengthen their application packet. We take the Graduate Record Examination [GRE], Graduate Management Aptitude Test [GMAT], or Miller Analogy Test [MAT]. (We also accept LSAT scores).These exams are optional and are not required for acceptance into the program.
|Fall Admission||July 1 (International Students - May 1)|
|Spring Admission||December 1 (International Students - September 15)|
|Summer Admission||May 1 (International Students - February 1)|
1) Begin your online application at the Graduate School
Note: Once you begin, applications can be saved and accessed at a later time.
2) Checklist for Materials Sent to the Graduate School
- Application to the University of Memphis Graduate School
- Graduate School Application fee
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
- Personal statement of 500-700 words explaining why you wish to study public administration and outlining your career goals.
- A current resume
- The names and e-mail addresses of two people you wish to use as references
- OPTIONAL Official standardized examination scores
Students who were previously admitted to the Master of Public Administration, Graduate Certificate in Local Government or Graduate Certificate in Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership program but have stopped out at least one semester (Fall or Spring), must reapply to the program.
- If you were admitted to a program prior to March 7, 2019 and wish to reapply, click here.
- If you were admitted to a program after March 7, 2019 and wish to reapply, click here.
- Previously admitted students will not be required to re-submit transcripts, resume, references or personal statement.
Questions about the application process?
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact our Becky Horowitz, our administrative associate, at 901-678-3360 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org