- Outreach is defined by our center as education and prevention in motion. Outreach is one way our center can address the growing needs of the University and surrounding community. Outreach programming provides preventative interventions in many areas concerning mental health and wellness.
- The number one reason people do not seek help related to mental health is stigma. Learn more about how you can support efforts to make the U of M Campus Stigma free here>
- The University of Memphis Student Health and Counseling Services is a member institution of the Association for University and College Counseling Center Outreach AUCCCO.
- Outreach presentations, workshops, and tabling events may be requested by student groups, academic departments, U of M staff and others in the U of M community. Please be aware that we require at least two weeks notice for outreach program requests. Efforts are made to respond to all requests within 2-3 business days
- Programs usually range in length from 15 minutes to 1 hour, and they are typically conducted at your campus location. There is no fee for a Counseling Center outreach presentation.
- A few topics are listed here but is not conducive to subjects our center can address. If you have questions about an outreach subject, please feel free to submit your request or reach out to the outreach coordinator.
Outreach/Presentation Request> (Please submit with at least two weeks' notice and all efforts are made to respond to all requests within 2-3 business days)
- Alcohol and Drug Awareness (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Athletic Team Building (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Counseling Center, Health Center, and Relaxation Zone Services (15 minutes)
- Diversity and Inclusivity (1 hour)
- Effective Communication/Conflict Resolution (1 hour)
- Get Your Relax On (Stress Management Program in the Relaxation Zone- 1 hour)
- Graduate Student Support (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Grief and Loss Response (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Healthy Relationships/ Healthy Sexual Relationships/ Consent (1 hour)
- Safe Zone Training (1.5 hours LGBTQ Allyship Training)
- Stress Management, Self Care, and Wellness Practices (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention (QPR Training - 1 hour)
- Supporting Student Mental Health and Wellness (Stigma Free Campus Presentation or Mental Health First Aid-1 hour to 8 hours)
- Trauma Informed Practices (Building Stronger Brains Tennessee- ACES awareness - 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours)
- Recovery Ally Training Fall 23 (1.5 hours)
Fall 2023 Events
Thriving Tigers| Coping Skills Workshop Series | Tuesdays Starting August 29th | 3:00- 4:00 | UC 201
Join your fellow tigers and SHCS facilitators to take some time each week or as needed to brush up and work on our coping skills. This workshop will focus on managing stress and finding specific coping strategies to address the inevitable stress of college. Let’s stress less and cope more!
Tiger Pack | Connection and Belonging Workshop Series | Wednesdays Starting August 30th | 9:00-10:00 | UC 201 and Hybrid Zoom
We all want to belong, so lets explore who we are but also how we can make connections! This workshop series will invite Tigers to explore themselves in efforts to better understand who they are, who they want to be, and whom they want to surround themselves with. Get to know you and find your Tiger Pack!
RZ in the UC | Saturday 8/26 | 1:00-4:00 | 3rd Floor of the UC
Motivation Monday | 8/28 | 10:00-12:00 | Tent outside of UC
Take Care of Yourself Tuesday | 8/29 | 10:00-12:00 | Tent outside of UC
Wellness Wednesday | 8/30 | 10:00-12:00 | Tent outside of UC
Thoughtful Thursday | 8/31 | 3:00 | Mindfulness meetup at the Tiger Oasis between Brister and Johnson Hall across from the LLC
Feel Good Friday | 9/1 | 12:00-1:00 | Mindfulness activities and excersies at Audubon park
Free HIV Testing| Tiger Zone Link| 9/6 | 10:00-2:00 | UC Conference Room 208
QPR Suicide Prevention Training for Students| Registration | 9/12 | 2:00-3:00 | UC Senate Chamber
QPR Suicide Prevention Training for Faculty/Staff | Registration | 9/15 | 8:30-9:30 | UC Senate Chamber CANCELLED
No stress success: Stress management 101 | 9/20 | 3:00-4:00 | Library commons
October | Be Tiger Well Month- Become One with Wellness
Wellness Fair | 10/3 | 11:00-2:00 | Tiger Zone Link | UC Student Activity Plaza
Free HIV Testing| Tiger Zone Link| 10/3 | 10:00-2:00 | UC Conference Room 208
No stress success: Healthy Relationships | 10/25 |Tiger Zone Link | 3:00-4:00 | Library 2nd Floor Commons
Be Tiger Well Month: Breast and Lung Cancer Awareness Table | 10/18 |Tiger Zone Link | 12:00-2:00 | UC Atrium
Free HIV Testing| Tiger Zone Link|10/25 | 10:00-2:00 | UC Conference Room 208
Trauma-Informed Yoga | 10/26 | 5:30pm-6:30pm | Tiger Zone Link | R. Brad Martin Student Wellness Center Cycle Room 208
Free HIV Testing| Tiger Zone Link| 11/8 | 10:00-2:00 | UC Conference Room 208
No stress success: Conflict and Convos | 11/15 | 3:00-4:00 | Library commons
QPR Suicide Prevention Training for Faculty/Staff | Registration | 11/16 | 4:00-5:00 | UC Shelby
Free HIV Testing| Tiger Zone Link| 11/29 | 10:00-2:00 | UC Conference Room 208
No stress success: Dare to Self Care | 11/29 | 3:00-4:00 | Library commons
Fall 2023 Events for Faculty and Staff
Safe Zone 1 Training | Geared towards University Faculty and Staff | TBA | 10/05 | 3:00p-4:30 | UC Shelby
Mental Health First Aid Training | Registration | 10/20 | 8:30a-3:30p | UC Senate Chamber
Faculty and Staff Spa Day in the RZ | Registration | 10/13 | 9:00a-12:00p | Brister Hall 302
Faculty and Staff Spa Day in the RZ | Registration | 10/16 | 12:00p-4:00p | Brister Hall 302
If you have any questions, please contact Outreach Coordinator, Victoria Jones at email@example.com.