The Counseling Center
To protect the campus community and student health and wellness, we will offer consultation via phone and telehealth until further notice in lieu of in person sessions. If you need immediate crisis assistance, please call 901.678.2068 during business hours (8:00AM-4:30PM).
If you are experiencing a crisis emergency after hours please call 901.678.4357 (HELP)
If you are a new client or have not received services in the last 6 months, please click here to access our virtual waiting room for a walk in appointment during our business hours (8:00 am to 4:30 pm)
If you are a current client, please call the center during business hours (8:00 am to 4:30 pm) to schedule an appointment your assigned therapist at 901.504.6442 or 901.468.3633
We also wanted to encourage everyone to practice self care during this time. Please consider checking out other virtual resources on our resource page here >
Many students, at times, experience uncertainty or confusion about themselves or their life situations. There is no problem too small or too big to bring to counseling. We have a diverse staff and trainees that work to create an atmosphere that is welcoming and multi-culturally sensitive for all students.
It's super common to be nervous your first time to any Counseling Center and our staff aims to make this as comfortable as possible.
Here is a brief outline of what you can expect when you come to the Counseling Center:
- First visits to the Center do not require an appointment.
- Students can walk in Monday-Friday between 10 am- 4 pm to be set up with services and meet with staff.
- Counseling services are confidential and free to currently enrolled students registered for 6 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters, and 1 credit hour in the summer semester.
- Allow about 30 minutes for the first visit to complete necessary paperwork and meet briefly with a therapist.
- We are committed to minimizing wait times as much as possible and the goal is to meet a therapist within 15 minutes of your arrival but this is cannot guaranteed.
- During the initial first appointment session, you will be asked to describe your current concerns. The staff therapist will make every effort to understand you and your situation and will likely ask questions to obtain specific information about your well-being.
- If a follow up appointment was not scheduled during your initial session, you will be contacted by our office administrative staff to schedule your next appointment
- Students are allotted 12 sessions per academic year, 6 in the fall and 6 in the spring
- Group therapy sessions are unlimited
The Counseling Center at the University of Memphis is a comprehensive agency providing personal/psychological counseling, career counseling and psychological/vocational testing for students. Goals of the center include enhancing the development of the total person, contributing to the educational mission of the University through counseling, service to the campus and community, and services that seek to assist in the retention of students.
The Counseling Center supports the University's mission by providing students with services that promote and enhance students' development in the areas of emotional stability, life-learning skills, and effective decision-making skills. This is accomplished through the provision of high-quality counseling, consultation, crisis intervention, proactive outreach, and training and supervision of counselor trainees.
All of the staff members at the Counseling Center at The University of Memphis strive to affirm, celebrate, and promote diversity in its broadest sense. We celebrate the differences among us, our students, and our community to support the dignity, worth, and value of all individuals. We have a firm commitment to address diversity in meaningful ways that challenge prejudice and discrimination, strive to continually improve our own knowledge, skills, and abilities, and to create an open, supportive environment where everyone is respected, welcomed, and appreciated.