Counseling Center Services Overview
Many students, at times, experience uncertainty or confusion about themselves or their life situations. Some common concerns may be related to relationship problems, adjustment to college, family issues, academic concerns, childhood abuse, or sexual assault. There is no problem too small or too big to bring to counseling. We have a diverse staff and trainees that work to create an atmosphere that is welcoming and multi-culturally sensitive for all students. We are committed to the total development of University of Memphis students by reducing psychological problems and distress and by enhancing quality of life and personal well-being.
It's super common to be nervous your first time to any Counseling Center. We know this and want to make your first visit as comfortable as possible. Here is a brief outline of what you can expect when you come to the Counseling Center:
- First visits to the Center do not require an appointment. Students can walk in Monday-Friday between 10 am and 4 pm to be set up with services and meet with staff. Counseling services are confidential and free to enrolled students registered for 6 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters, and 1 credit hour in the summer semester.
- It's a good idea to allow about 30 minutes for the first visit. You will have an opportunity to meet with a therapist on staff and to complete a brief and confidential questionnaire.
- We are committed to minimizing wait times as much as possible. You should be able to see a staff therapist within 15 minutes of your arrival but this is cannot guaranteed
- During the initial first appointment session, you will be asked to describe your current concerns. The staff therapist will make every effort to understand you and your situation and will likely ask questions to obtain specific information about your well-being.
- At the end of the appointment, the therapist will talk with you about all the services that are available at the center to best meet your needs.
- If a follow up appointment was not scheduled during your initial session, you will be contacted by our office administrative staff to schedule your next appointment
- Be advised that students are allotted 12 sessions per academic year and group therapy sessions are unlimited