Counseling services are confidential and free to enrolled students registered for 6 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters, and 1 credit hour in the summer semester.
- First visits to the Counseling Center do not require an appointment.
- Students can walk in Monday-Friday between 10 am and 3 pm to be set up with services and meet with staff.
- For appointments after your first, you may schedule with your assigned therapist or by calling 901.678.2068
- For counseling emergencies during office hours, please come to the Counseling Center and ask to be seen if you are experiencing a crisis.
- For after-hours emergencies, please call 901.678.HELP (4357) and ask to speak to the therapist on call.
What to expect
You'll be asked to complete paperwork and will meet briefly with a triage therapist. This meeting is a brief session for the triage therapist to learn about your situation and determine your needs. After that your triage therapist will make a referral to an individual therapist, group, or off campus service that best fits your needs.
Please allow enough time to park (if needed), complete the paperwork, and meet with a triage therapist. Your wait time will vary depending on the number of students requesting services at any given time. Students who arrive after 3:00 p.m. will meet briefly with a triage therapist if they are experiencing a psychological emergency.
If you are unable to come to the center between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to make an appointment, please call the center at 901.678.2068. to discuss your situation with our staff.
- If a follow up appointment was not scheduled during your initial session, you will be contacted by our office administrative staff to schedule your next appointment.
- After you are assigned a therapist, you can schedule appointments directly with your therapist.
Missing appointments negatively impacts access to the Counseling Center for all students. You will be considered a 'No Show' for an appointment if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You miss your scheduled appointment.
- You fail to call and cancel at least 1 hour prior to your appointment.
- You arrive 15 minutes or more after your appointment time. You will not be seen that day.
If you need to reschedule your appointment:
- If you need to reschedule an appointment, please call the counseling center at least 24 hours in advance to ensure the appointment time is available to someone else.
- A no call and no show for an appointment will count as one of the 12 sessions allotted per student during the academic year.
If you are going to be late for your appointment:
- If you are less than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment, you will be seen as soon as possible. Your office visit may need to be shortened in length or you may have to wait a bit longer to be seen.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment, your appointment will need to be rescheduled.
- If you enter the group session after 15 minutes, you will unable to join that occurring group and will be notified of the next available group for the week