Admission procedures and standards
Applicants must apply using the University’s standard online Graduate Degree Application for Master’s programs. In the application portal, select “City and Regional Planning” as the “Course of Study.”
Applicants will be prompted to upload the following material:
- A personal statement (500 words) describing related background, career objectives and interest in studying planning at the University of Memphis
- Current resume
- Undergraduate transcript(s)
- GRE scores are optional
Applicants who wish to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship are required to provide 2 letters of reference from former professors and/or employers. Follow this link for more information about applying for Graduate Assistantships.
International applicants should review the Graduate School’s additional application requirements regarding English proficiency and transcript evaluations. International applicants whose highest degree is from a program conducted in English and whose transcripts are on a 4.0 scale will not be required to have transcripts evaluated by a credentialing agency.
The University's deadline for Fall admission is July 1. In order to receive full consideration for Graduate Assistantships, application must be received by March 1.
Note: Graduate Assistantships are not typically available for students beginning their studies in the Spring semester.
The University's deadline for Spring admission is December 1.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Minimum requirements for consideration:
- Applicant must possess a bachelor’s degree. Transcripts are required for review.
- Applicant must have earned an acceptable grade point average, typically a minimum of 2.75 on a scale of 4.0. The department may make exceptions for students whose overall GPA does not adequately reflect their ability to succeed.
- Applicant must demonstrate an appropriate motivation for studying City and Regional Planning and articulate appropriate career and/or community aspirations through a personal statement.
Meeting the minimum department standards does not entitle an applicant to admission. Meeting such standards only insures consideration of the application.
Additional questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying for a Graduate Assistantship
Follow this link for more information about applying for Graduate Assistantships.