Latrice Pichon, PhD, MPH, CHES
Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences
About Latrice C. Pichon
Latrice C. Pichon, PhD, MPH, CHES, is an Associate Professor in the Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health. She completed her PhD in Public Health with a concentration in Health Behavior from the Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at San Diego State University and the University of California, San Diego. She received post-doctoral training in community-based participatory research (CBPR) in the Kellogg Health Scholars Program at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. Her research focuses on exploring the role of the faith-based community in addressing HIV awareness and prevention, partnering with community-based organizations to understand HIV outreach, care, and utilization needs among vulnerable populations, and using the application of community-based participatory research approaches. Dr. Pichon was selected as a 2019 Transformative Grant partner by the COMPASS Initiative and the Southern AIDS Coalition (View photos). Dr. Pichon is currently the principal investigator of CDC U01PS005211 grant-funded as part of the Minority HIV Research Initiative and R13 conference grant from NIH’s National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. She was recently awarded a University Research Professorship for her outstanding contributions to the University's educational, research, outreach, and service missions.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Kellogg Health Scholars Program (Community Track), University of Michigan School of Public Health
- PhD, Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at San Diego State University/ University of California, San Diego - Concentration: Public Health (Health Behavior)
- MPH, San Diego State University, Graduate School of Public Health - Concentration: Health Promotion
- BS, Xavier University of Louisiana – Psychology Pre-Medicine
- HIV prevention and care
- Community-based participatory research (CBPR)
- Faith-based research
- Pichon LC, Wilkins ML, Guerrero G, Stubbs ALW, Wiley ED, Dodson J, London C, Teti M. Sustaining an HIV Prevention and Wellness Program for Sexual Gender Minorities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2022; 19(4):2114. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19042114.
- Pichon, L.C., Stubbs, A.W. & Teti, M. Snap out stigma photovoice project in the U.S. South. BMC Health Serv Res 22, 795 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-022-08147-3.
- Pichon, L. C., Teti, M., & Brown, L. L. (2022). Triggers or Prompts? When Methods Resurface Unsafe Memories and the Value of Trauma-Informed Photovoice Research Practices. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 21. https://doi.org/10.1177/16094069221113979.
- Pichon, L.C., Teti, M., McGoy, S. et al. Engaging Black men who have sex with men (MSM) in the South in identifying strategies to increase PrEP uptake. BMC Health Serv Res 22, 1491 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-022-08914-2.
- Brook E. Harmon, Emily Rose N. San Diego, Latrice C. Pichon, Terrinieka W. Powell, Fedoria Rugless, Nathan T. West, Lottie Minor, Sterling McNeal,
Lauren McCann, Lauren S. Hales, Rachel Davis, Jonathan Lewis. Congregational health
needs by key demographic variables: Findings from a congregational health needs assessment
Evaluation and Program Planning. Volume 94, 2022;102138. ISSN 0149-7189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2022.102138.
- Pettit, April C. MD, MPHa; Pichon, Latrice C. PhD, MPHb; Ahonkhai, Aima A. MD, MPHa; Robinson, Cedric BSc; Randolph, Bruce MD, MPHc; Gaur, Aditya MDd; Stubbs, Andrea MPAd; Summers, Nathan A. MD, MSce; Truss, Kimberly MPHf; Brantley, Meredith PhD, MPHf; Devasia, Rose MD, MPHf; Teti, Michelle MPH, DrPHg; Gimbel, Sarah PhD, MPHh; Dombrowski, Julia C. MD, MPHi. Comprehensive Process Mapping and Qualitative Interviews to Inform Implementation of Rapid Linkage to HIV Care Programs in a Mid-Sized Urban Setting in the Southern United States. JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 90(S1):p S56-S64, July 1, 2022. | DOI: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002986.
- Pichon, LC, Powell, TW. (2015). Review of HIV Testing Efforts in Historically Black Churches. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12: 6016-6026. DOI:10.3390/ijerph120606016
- Pichon, LC, Rossi, KR, Ogg, SA, Krull, L, Griffin, DY. (2015). Social Support, Stigma and Disclosure: Examining the Relationship with HIV Medication Adherence among Ryan White Program Clients in the Mid-South USA. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12, 7073-7084. Doi:10.3390/ijerph120607073
- Pichon, LC, Powell, TW, Ogg, SA, Williams, AL, Becton-Odum, N. (2016). Factors Influencing Black Churches’ Readiness to Address HIV. Journal of Religion and Health, 55(3), 918-927. DOI 10.1007/s10943-015-0117-3
- Pichon, LC, Powell, TW, Stubbs Williams, A, Becton-Odum, N, Ogg, SA, Arnold, TL, Thurston, IB. (2020). An exploration of southern faith leaders' perspectives of sexuality and sexual health teachings. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17, 5734. doi:10.3390/ijerph17165734
- Pichon, LC, Rossi, KR, Chapple-McGruder, T, Krull, LJ, Kmet, J, Carswell, AL. (2021). A Pilot Outreach HIV Testing Project Among Homeless Adults. Frontiers in Public Health, 9: 1051. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.703659
- Pichon, LC, Teti, M, Betts, J, Brantley, M. (2021). ‘PrEP’ing Memphis via Peer Navigation Support and Evaluation. Evaluation and Program Planning Journal. 90:101989. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2021.101989
- Pichon, L.C., Wilkins, M.L., Guerrero, G., Stubbs, A.L.W., Wiley, E.D., Dodson, J., London, C., & Teti, M. (2022). Sustaining an HIV Prevention and Wellness Program for Sexual Gender Minorities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 19 (4), 2114. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19042114
- Pettit, A, Pichon, L.C., Ahonkhai, AA, Robinson, C, Randolph, B, Gaur, A, Stubbs, A, Summers, N, Truss, K, Brantley, M, Devasia, R, Teti, M, Gimbel, S, Dombrowski, JC. (2022). Comprehensive Process Mapping and Qualitative Interviews to Inform Implementation of Rapid Linkage to HIV Care Programs in a Mid-Sized Urban Setting in the Southern United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 90(S1):S56-S64. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002986
- Pichon, L.C., Stubbs, A., Teti, M. (2022). Snap out of stigma photovoice project in the U.S. South. BMC Health Services Research, 22(1):795. doi: 10.1186/s12913-022-08147-3. https://rdcu.be/cP2UB
- Pichon, L.C., Teti, M., Brown, L.L. (2022). Triggers or prompts? When methods resurface unsafe
memories and the value of trauma-informed photovoice research practices. International
Journal of Qualitative Methods, (21) 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/16094069221113979