DEPARTMENT OF WORLD LANGUAGES AND LITERATURES
STUDENT AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
The purpose of the Student Ambassador program in the Department of World Languages and Literatures is to provide undergraduate students with a volunteer opportunity through which they may contribute to departmental activities and help the department in its promotional and recruitment efforts.
Among the activities in which student ambassadors may be involved:
• MemBound (for high school students; 2 Saturdays in the Fall)
• Discover Your Major Day (for current undecided students; one Thursday in the Fall)
• University of Memphis Language Fair (for high school students; event is in late March; students may volunteer to be involved in the preparation for the event in the preceding months)
• Assist faculty with visits to area high school language programs
• Other projects and events in the department as the need arises
• Preference is given to undergraduate students with Junior or Senior status, and have a cumulative and major GPA of 3.00 or higher (applications from Freshmen Sophomores and from students below the required GPA may be considered)
• Students who have completed at least six hours of upper-division foreign language coursework and those who have participated in a study abroad program are particularly encouraged to apply
• Students must commit to participating in several events/activities during the Academic Year for a total of 20 hours
• Students must have one letter of recommendation submitted to the chair by a full-time faculty member in the department
To apply to become an ambassador:
• Send a message to Dr. Will Thompson, Chair of the Department, at email@example.com indicating your interest.
• Have a faculty member submit a recommendation to Dr. Thompson by email
• Applications are accepted on an on-going basis, although the number of positions is limited, and preference will be given to early applicants.