GSA Travel Funding
New funds will become available starting July 1, 2023.
GSA travel funds are awarded as a reimbursement after the travel is completed.
High Priority! - Please read all instructions as the application process has recently changed (Jan 2022).
The application for travel is open July to June each fiscal year and all applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by the priority deadlines each term for the highest chance of funding. Applications are accepted after the priority deadline; however, funding is not guaranteed. Students may be reimbursed for one travel event up to $500 annually. Please note - funds are limited and funding will be prioritized for students who are presenters.
- Fall 2023 - Spring 2024 applications open July 1, 2023
- All application decisions will be distributed two weeks after the priority deadline (September 22nd, 2023).
- If your conference occurs before this date, please email email@example.com with the subject: GSA Travel Funding Urgent Application and include your name, conference
date, and how much funding you are receiving (if any) from other sources.
- Fall 2023 Priority Deadline: September 8th 2023
- Spring 2024 Priority Deadline: February 9, 2024
- Last Day to Apply for Funding: May 15, 2024
- Subject to change if all funds have been distributed.
- ALL SPRING 2023 FUNDS HAVE BEEN DISTRIBUTED.
Applying for Funding
Instructional video coming soon!
I qualify if I am:
- A full-time graduate student at the University of Memphis
- I have not already applied for travel funding from July 2023 to July 2023
I do not qualify if I am:
- An undergraduate student
- A student at another university or college
- A faculty/staff member or U of M Global Student (who does not pay a student activity fee)
- A graduate student in the Department of Music (ask your financial advisor for more details)
Before beginning this application you will need the following:
- A recommendation letter from your advisor
- Event link that shows event name and dates
- A completed estimated travel expenses worksheet (download)
- Example Estimated Travel Expenses Worksheet | Blank Estimated Travel Expenses Worksheet
- The form requires estimated travel expenses using CONAS, which is linked on the application form.
- You will also need an AP number for this form. To set this up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your Banner name, UID, and mailing address.
- Student U number(s) and the address where a reimbursement check should be mailed
- Other funding source information (such as your department funding $500 for the same event)
- The name and email address of the person responsible for finances in your department
- Apply here. Make sure to select NEW APPLICATION.
You will receive an email (to the address provided in the application) from a GSA representative after your application has been processed with instructions on next steps. Please allow one to two weeks AFTER THE PRIORITY DEADLINE (February 3, 2023) for processing. Urgent request policy (also listed in the application):
- If your scheduled date of departure is within the next 14 days, please complete the application. When finished, email email@example.com with the subject: URGENT GSA Travel Application. This is because your PO with Shared Services needs to be completed before you travel which cannot happen until your application is first processed with GSA. Urgent departures do not guarantee funds.