Student Account Balances

An important part of every student’s educational experience is learning how to manage money and to responsibly discharge any financial obligations incurred. The University of Memphis maintains the expectation that students will promptly pay all valid university bills and accounts upon the date on which they become due.

As part of the online enrollment process, students must agree to a Financial Responsibility Statement, which in part states:

“I understand that I am willfully accepting, without duress, the full legal obligation that requires me to pay for all tuition, fees and other associated charges assessed as a result of my registration, enrollment/attendance, and/or receipt of services, at, or provided by, The University of Memphis...

For currently enrolled students, an e-Bill statement for unpaid charges will be emailed and available through TigerXpress at the beginning of every month. Students are expected to pay the amount due immediately.

Financial Holds

Failure to meet financial obligations will result in a financial hold being placed on the student record, which will prevent the student from receiving transcripts, grade reports, or diplomas.

For currently enrolled students, balances over $500 will prevent the student from registering for a future semester. Once registered, the prior semester balance is due by the fee payment deadline for that semester.

For students who are not currently enrolled, all balances must be paid in full in order to register or be readmitted to the university.

Once the debt is paid in full, all services will be restored.  Holds will not be released for seven business days if paid in full by check.

Any refunds or reimbursements will be offset by any balance due to the University.

Delinquent Accounts

Student accounts remaining unpaid at the beginning of the next term are considered delinquent and are placed in the collection process. The university collection process includes sending the adequate number of notifications to the student that informs them of the debt owed and the payment options available. The student must either resolve the delinquent balance or make satisfactory payment arrangements or the account may be referred to a collection agency and the balance reported to the credit bureaus. 

For assistance setting up satisfactory payment arrangements, contact UMDebt@memphis.edu

To review your payment plan options for past due accounts, please visit https://memphis.myonplanu.com/login

Once a delinquent account is referred to a collection agency, the student must satisfy the debt with the collection agency and may be responsible for paying the collection agency fee, which may be based on a percentage at a maximum of 33-1/3 percent of the delinquent account, together with all fees and expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees, necessary for the collection of the delinquent account.

In accordance with the provisions of T.C.A. § 49-7-166, university policy 640 and 646, all delinquent balances must be paid in full in order to register for classes, be readmitted to the university, or to receive grades, transcripts or diplomas. 

Financial Aid Disbursement Information for Students with Outstanding Debt

  • Federal regulations require authorization from the student to use Title IV funds (i.e. federal financial aid) to pay prior term charges and current non-educational charges (e.g. parking tickets, library fines, etc.) within the same award year as the Title IV funds. Without your authorization, your federal aid will pay only current tuition, fees, Tiger Eat$ and dorm room charges. Federal regulations prohibit using current Title IV funds to pay any prior award/academic year outstanding charges. Your account will remain on hold until you pay all past due charges owed to The University of Memphis.
  • Grades/Transcript Holds and Registratiopn Holds will not be released until the account balance is paid in full.
  • State Law prohibits the release of a registration hold for any student who owes debt to the University.

NOTE: First Time Borrowers must have completed an entrance interview and master promissory note in order for your funds to be disbursed to your student account and any excess to be refunded to you. For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.