Preparing for Your Arrival
Congratulations! You have been admitted to the University of Memphis. You can now start making the necessary preparations for beginning your career as a student-athlete.
You should have received a letter or e-mail from your Athletic Academic Counselor providing you with information on how to utilize this site and the resources provided. Once you have accessed the necessary information, you can contact your Counselor (via phone, e-mail or in person) to begin your academic career!
Incoming student-athletes are required to attend orientation sessions provided through CAAS.
We recommend that you attend one of the campus-wide new student orientations throughout the summer. If you plan to attend one of these sessions, please let your Athletic Academic Counselor know in advance.
Before you meet with your Athletic Academic Counselor, please review the New Student Orientation Website and research 1-2 majors you may want to pursue::
Then please complete this short survey.
Note that as an incoming freshman, you are not required to declare you major at this time. This activity is helpful in understanding the requirements of earning a degree at the University of Memphis.
After reviewing this website and completing the survey, you are ready to meet with your Athletic Academic Counselor. Email or call to set up a meeting time. Meetings can take place via the telephone or Skype if necessary. For staff contacts, click here. Be prepared to discuss your answers to the following:
- What majors interest you?
- What general education courses interest you?
- Have you received credit for any college level courses? Are you planning to take any courses at a university this summer?
- Have you been accepted into the Honors program or any other special programs such as Emerging Leaders on campus?
- If you have been accepted into the Honors program or are interested in opportunities available for Honors students, please contact Dr. Melinda Jones at 901.678.2690 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will you receive a HOPE Scholarship (TN residents only)?
Your counselor will help you register for your courses once you have made your selections.
Advice for New Student-Athletes
In addition to preparing for academics, former first-year student-athletes have put together a list of "tips" for you to review as you prepare to be a student-athlete at the University of Memphis. Click here to utilize this list of advice.
Welcome to the University of Memphis! Go Tigers!