Pres. Rudd, Coach Penny Hardaway named The CA’s 2018 People of the Year
December 30, 2018 - University of Memphis President M. David Rudd and head men’s basketball coach Penny Hardaway have been named The Commercial Appeal’s 2018 People of the Year, the newspaper announced Sunday.
It has been a banner year for the University of Memphis on campus, in the classroom, in the community and in athletics. Several of the many projects spearheaded by Pres. Rudd are listed below:
- Construction of the pedestrian land bridge, amphitheater and general access parking garage. The land bridge will link the north and south sections of campus. Once completed, students will be able to walk above Southern and Walker avenues, as well as the railroad tracks.
- The $30 million Center for Wellness and Fitness will soon follow. The project will feature a new 74,000-sq. ft. building. Combined with renovations to the existing recreation center, it will provide 225 sq. ft. of wellness and fitness space. Construction is expected to begin in summer 2019 with a projected opening late fall 2020.
- $23.1 million: UofM has record year for academic fundraising
- UofM has lowest tuition increase in state over the last five years
- UofM freezes tuition for 2018-19 academic year
- UofM Global lowers tuition rates, keeps same quality programs
- UofM reduces out-of-state tuition costs
- UofM first in higher education nationally to partner with Folds of Honor
- River City Partnership: Sedgwick Invests $1 Million, International Paper invests $1 million, Crews Family Foundation invests $500,000
- FedEx and UofM offer Hub employees opportunity for tuition-free degree program in Memphis, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Oakland and Newark
- FedEx commits $500,000 to UofM Commercial Aviation Scholarships:
- UofM and CTI launch Commercial Aviation program
- MLK50 Symposium with Eric Holder as keynote speaker and MLK handwritten speech on display at the UofM
- UofM first in nation to sign international research collaboration agreement with Czech Academy of Sciences
- UofM launches FedEx IT Command Center on Campus to grow regional data analytics workforce
- UofM celebrates opening of Metal Additive Manufacturing Lab
- CN donates $500,00 to UofM’s Southeast Transportation Workforce Center
- UofM launches campaign to upgrade natatorium with gift from Rose Family Foundation
- Tiger Football named back-to-back American Athletic Conference West Division Champions
- Women's soccer named 2018 American Athletic Conference Tournament Champions
The hiring of UofM alum Hardaway as head coach has rejuvenated the entire City of Memphis. To read the entire Commercial Appeal article naming Pres. Rudd and Coach Hardaway as The CA’s 2018 People of the Year, visit https://bit.ly/2Aq5gWJ.