The Office for Institutional Equity monitors the University's policy on equal opportunity and affirmative action in employment and education in that it will not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification), disability, where the person is a qualified disabled person, or because of their status as a qualified disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era.
The Office for Institutional Equity (OIE) provides institutional leadership in promoting and furthering the University's commitment to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination for all members of its community.
OIE provides a range of services that uphold values of equity and diversity, as well as support compliance efforts in the areas of equal opportunity, affirmative action, harassment prevention, nondiscrimination and Title IX.
The Office for Institutional Equity is committed to fostering an environment that is reflective of our community. The City of Memphis has a long and proud legacy of commitment to equity for all and OIE honors that legacy by creating an inclusive, accessible, and diverse intellectual and cultural campus experience.
To fulfill its mission, the Office for Institutional Equity engages in the following activities:
- Providing information, consultation, training and other resources to the University community with regard to diversity, harassment and discrimination prevention, affirmative action, equal opportunity and disability matters;
- Serving as a resource to ensure access to all qualified persons with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act;
- Providing individual consultation to University to members of the campus community on matters involving diversity, equal opportunity, and affirmative action;
- Providing a fair and impartial mechanism for resolving complaints of unlawful harassment, discrimination, sexual misconduct and retaliation; and
- Providing oversight of and support for the University's efforts to comply with all applicable State and Federal civil rights laws and its affirmative action plan.