Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund
Navigating the challenges created by COVID-19 continues to be incredibly difficult for our campus and community. Throughout the pandemic, the University of Memphis has worked diligently to support our students in their educational pursuits by making available a robust set of education offerings, access to financial support, flexibility and an array of support services. We were fortunate to receive federal fundingwhich allowed the University to provide direct grants to students to assist with other financial support.
The CARES Act was passed by Congress to assist students who experienced negative financial outcomes from the conversion to remote delivery classes necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic in Spring 2020. View Reporting >
Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act (HEERF II) was signed into law by President Trump on 12/27/20. View Reporting >
The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act (HEERF III) was signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021. View Reporting >
Additional financial relief efforts:
- $50,000 in COVID-19 Access and Diversity funds to support financially needy students
- $150,000 grant to close the digital divide (e.g., educational supplies, technology needs, book grants, etc.)
- Laptop Loaner Program available to each student who expressed need
- Dr. Rosie Phillips Bingham Student Emergency Fund provided small grants to students in financial need
- Support to assist students in accessing local, state and national benefits, grants and resources
- Student workers were retained for the Spring 2020 semester, even though we switched to virtual instruction and adhered to the "safer at home" guidelines
- Chartwells, the dining services partner for the UofM, donated $29,000 to the UofM Tiger Pantry and $9,500 for meal cards for students facing food insecurities
- University provided tuition payment plans, extended registration and payment deadlines and refunded late registration and payment fees
- Retention grants were offered for Spring 2021
- Grants were provided to students for Summer 2020 and 2021 as part of an expansion to our 3+3 program
- Online fees for all classes were reduced and/or refunded
- Dining funds were prorated to account for decreases in the amount of time students would be on campus
- CARES Act and CRRSA funds were distributed to provide additional financial resources to support students who met established criteria
Campus Communications Related to Financial Relief
CRRSA Act Financial Funds Available
February 16, 2021 - Earlier today, the University of Memphis was notified that funding will be available shortly. ...
CRRSA Act Financial Resources
February 11, 2021 - As we shared with you earlier, the recent Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA) provides additional financial resources to support students who meet established criteria. ...
Student Funds Available under the Stimulus Package
January 15, 2021 - As we shared with you earlier, financial support will be made available to actively enrolled students under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA). ...
Financial Support for Students
January 9, 2021 - Navigating the challenges created by COVID-19 continues to be incredibly difficult for our campus and community. ...
Refunding of Payment Plan Fees
November 23, 2020 - The University recognizes that our students and their families continue to face challenges created by COVID-19. ...
Initiatives to Support Students During COVID-19
August 24, 2020 - The past six months have been some of the most difficult in our history, with the impact of COVID-19 leaving no corner of our community untouched. ...
Additional Financial Actions to Support Students
August 12, 2020 - As we shared earlier this week, the University recognizes the financial challenges created by COVID-19. ...
Continued Financial Support for Students
August 10, 2020 - We recognize the challenges presented by COVID-19 on all fronts, including finances. ...
June 23, 2020 - Our commitment to access and affordability is a priority for the University of Memphis. ...
Summer 2020 Installment Payment Plan
May 27, 2020 - Given the unique challenges presented by COVID-19 on our students, the University is actively looking a ways to support students. ...
Grants to Juniors and Seniors
April 17, 2020 - In our continued efforts to support our upper class student populations, we are offering a $500 grant to assist juniors and seniors with their costs when enrolled for two classes in the summer 2020 semester. ...
Academic Financial Support for Summer 2020
April 16, 2020 - In an effort to continue to support our students’ progression to degree completion during these difficult times, the UofM is offering direct financial support to students for Summer 2020: ...
Housing, Dining and Parking Refunds
March 27, 2020 - Both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have passed federal relief legislation, and it is moving forward to President Trump for signature. ...
Federal Relief Package Update
March 25, 2020 - As you are likely aware, a federal relief package is expected to pass the U.S. House and Senate in the next few days. ...