Computer Science Research
The Department is involved in two major national research initiatives: the MD2K Center of Excellence with Cornell, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, University of Utah, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UMass Amherst, and West Virginia, along with Open mHealth; and Named Data Networking: Next-Phase with Colorado State, University of Arizona, UCLA, UCSD, UIUC, University of Michigan, and Washington University.
With millions in active grants, we have the highest per-capita research funding of any department on campus. We were recently ranked 55th among nationwide CS departments in federally funded research expenditures.
Interdisciplinary Institutes and Centers
- Center for Information Assurance
We are designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and Research (CAE-CDE, CAE-R) by the NSA/DHS.
- Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Systems Testing Excellence Program
Our faculty and students publish high-quality research in multiple areas of Computer Science. They have published in top-tier venues in:
- Mobile Computing: ACM MobiCom, ACM UbiComp, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Mobile Computing
- Networking: IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE INFOCOM
- Sensors: ACM SenSys, ACM/IEEE IPSN, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks
- Bioinformatics: BMC Genomics, BMC Bioinformatics, ACM BCB
- Human-Computer Interaction: ACM CHI, ACM UbiComp
- Evolutionary Computing: ACM GECCO
- Software Engineering: ACM/IEEE ICSE, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence: AAAI, NIPS, ECML
- Computational Linguistics: ACL, COLING
- Theory: STOC, FOCS, SICOMP, SODA, SoCG, CCC, ITCS, ICALP, PODS