Systems Librarian & Associate Professor
McWherter Library, 303I
Brighid Gonzales has worked as the Systems Librarian at the University of Memphis since 2023. She provides leadership and direction for the management and supervision of the University Libraries’ information systems platforms, including the integrated library system. Her library experience includes systems, discovery, web services and development, user experience and electronic resource management.
- MS, Information Systems and Security, Our Lady of the Lake University, 2022
- Master of Library and Information Science, San Jose State University, 2014
- Bachelor of Science, Mass Communication, University of Evansville, 2002
- Associate Professor, Systems Librarian, University of Memphis, 2023-present
- Associate Professor, Assistant Director of Systems and Metadata, Our Lady of the Lake University, 2021-2022
- Assistant Professor, Systems and Web Services Librarian, Our Lady of the Lake University, 2014-2021
- Library technology and web development
- Usability and UX
- Librarian training, education, and job requirements
- Systems Librarianship: A Practical Guide for Librarians. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2020.
- Computer Programming for Librarians: A Study of Job Postings for Library Technologists. Journal of Web Librarianship, 13(1), 20-36, 2019.
- Analyzing EZproxy SPU Logs Using Python Data Analysis Tools. Code4Lib Journal, 42, 2018.
- CLIPP 44: Institutional Repositories. Chicago: ACRL, 2018.
- Assessing Your Library Website with Usability Testing. In A.W. Dobbs (Ed.), The Library Assessment Cookbook. Chicago: ACRL, 2017.
- Using LibGuides CMS and Customized Templates to Create and Maintain Your Library Website. In A. W. Dobbs & R. L. Sittler (Eds.), Integrating LibGuides into Library Websites (pp. 43-56). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Linking Libraries to the Web: Linked Data and the Future of the Bibliographic Record. Information Technology and Libraries, 33(4), 10-22, 2014.
- Online Tutorials and Effective Information Literacy Instruction for Distance Learners. Journal of Library and Information Services in Distance Learning, 8(1-2), 45-55, 2014.
- The Conversion of MARC Metadata for Online Visual Resource Collections: A Case Study of Tactics, Challenges and Results.” Library Philosophy and Practice, 2014.
- Preparing LIS Students for a Career in Metadata Librarianship. SLIS Student Research Journal, 4(1), 2014.
- Website Redesign on a Skeleton Crew. Poster presentation at Distance Library Services conference, Pittsburgh, PA. April 2016.
- Linking Libraries to the Web: A Linked Data Primer. Poster presentation at LITA Forum, Minneapolis, MN, November 2015.
Outreach, Service & Membership
- Weave: Journal of Library User Experience, Editorial Board Member, 2023-present
- Code4Lib Journal, Editorial Committee Member, 2019-present
- Publications Committee, CORE/ALA, 2022-present
- Mentoring Committee, New Members Round Table/ALA, 2021-present
- Website Committee, New Members Round Table/ALA, 2020-present
- Nominating Committee, New Members Round Table/ALA, 2020-2021
- Preconference Committee, Code4Lib Conference 2021