UofM Law Hosting 2023 Pillars of Excellence Awards
Aug. 25, 2023 — The Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law Alumni Chapter is proud to celebrate the return of honoring excellence in law at the Pillars of Excellence Law Alumni Chapter Awards on Saturday, Aug. 26, at FedExForum. Cocktail hour begins at 6 p.m., followed by dinner and awards program at 7 p.m.
The Law Alumni Chapter created the Pillars of Excellence Award in 2007 to recognize Memphis-area legal community members who have significantly impacted the practice of law. Recipients of the Pillars of Excellence Award must have been admitted to the practice of law for more than 40 years; given significant service to the legal profession and community, including involvement in civic and charitable organizations; served in leadership roles in the legal and civic communities; made other significant contributions to the practice of law; and must be generally recognized among the Memphis Bar to possess the highest legal skills and ethical standards.
The 2023 Pillars of Excellence honorees are:
- Congressman Steve Cohen (JD ’73), United States House of Representatives
- Robert L. Dinkelspiel (JD ’75), founding member, Dinkelspiel, Rasmussen & Mink PLLC
- Mike McLaren, member, Black, McLaren, Jones, Ryland & Griffee, P.C.
- David Wade (JD ’74), Director/Shareholder, Martin, Tate, Morrow & Marston, P.C.
- Ruby R. Wharton, Founder/Partner, The Wharton Law Firm
The Law Alumni Chapter will also bestow the honor of 2023 Friend of the Law School to The Honorable Jon Phipps McCalla, United States District Judge, U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee.