LOCAL CRIME STATISTICS AND TRENDS
Quarterly and annually, preliminary crime data are obtained from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for Memphis and all of Shelby County. The rates per 100,000 population and the actual numbers for various categories of crime are charted and compared to previous time periods.
CLICK HERE to view the UofM Public Safety Institute (PSI) summary of local crime statistics.
For more detailed crime stats visit the Memphis Shelby Crime Commission website.
Homicides in Memphis
The level of homicides in Memphis in 2016 brought significant media attention and public concern. The Memphis Police Department (MPD) has conducted an analysis of the 228 reported 2016 homicides. MPD's analysis includes as well comparative homicide data for 1993 - 2016, with a breakdown between criminal homicides and those that were ruled to be justifiable. The analysis includes a geographic breakdown of 2016 homicides by the following categories:
- All homicides
- Solved and unsolved numbers
- Those that appear to be robbery related
- Those related to domestic violence
- Homicides with gang affiliated victims
- Homicides with gang affiliated suspects
- Homicide suspects who are repeat offenders
Other pertinent information in the analysis includes:
- The day and time of day homicides were committed
- the ages of both victims and suspects
- Homicides in which victims and suspects had personal relationships
- The overall solve rate
- The number involving juvenile victims and suspects
- Types of weapons used
- Gender/race or ethnicity of victims
CLICK HERE to view MPD's homicide analysis.