Matthew Smeltzer, PhD
Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Environmental Health
About Matthew Smeltzer
Matthew P. Smeltzer, PhD, MStat, is an Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Dr. Smeltzer's primary research interests include clinical epidemiology, applied biostatistics, and implementation science in cancer and sickle cell disease. He is active in the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) and the NIH funded Sickle Cell Disease Implementation Science Consortium (SCDIC). Dr. Smeltzer is Principal Investigator of the Tennessee sickle cell disease surveillance program (SCDC) funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, he is the quantitative lead for the NIH funded Mid-South Quality of Surgical Resection (MS-QSR) lung cancer cohort.
Prior to joining the University of Memphis faculty, Dr. Smeltzer spent 11 years in the Department of Biostatistics at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is an Accredited Professional Statistician by the American Statistical Association. Dr. Smeltzer has more than 90 peer-reviewed publications, with additional research experience in childhood cancer, ovarian cancer, breast cancer, immunology, anesthesiology, and biomedical engineering.
- PhD, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN
- MStat, Statistics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- BS, Mathematics (cum laude), Harding University, Searcy, AR
- Sickle cell disease
- Implementation science
- Disease Surveillance
- Bias analysis
- Statistics for epidemiology
- Smeltzer MP, Osarogiagbon RU. Out of the darkness, into light: the scientific rigor of lung cancer clinical trials in the age of enlightenment. J Thorac Oncol. 2020, Jul;15(7):1110-1112.
- Smeltzer MP, Faris N, Fehnel C, Akinbobola O, Saulsberry A, Meadows-Taylor M, Pacheco A, Ray M, Osarogiagbon RU. Impact of a Lymph Node Specimen Collection Kit on the Distribution and Survival Implications of the Proposed Revised Lung Cancer Residual Disease Classification: a Propensity-Matched Analysis. JTO Clin Res Rep. 2021, in press.
- Smeltzer MP, Faris NR, Ray MA, Osarogiagbon RU. Association of pathologic nodal staging quality with survival among patients with non–small cell lung cancer after resection with curative intent. JAMA Oncol. 2018: 4(1)1-8. Published September 28, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.2993
- Smeltzer MP, Wynes MW, Lantuejoul S, Soo R, Ramalingam SS, VarellaGarcia M, Taylor MM, Richeimer K, Wood K, Howell KE, Dalurzo ML, Felip E, Hollenbeck G, Kerr K, Kim ES, Mathias C, Pacheco J, Postmus P, Powell C, Tsuboi M, Wistuba II, Wakelee HA, Belani CP, Scagliotti GV, Hirsch FR, The International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) Global Survey on Molecular Testing in Lung Cancer, J Thorac Oncol. 2020: 15(9):1434–1448
- Mathias JG, Nolan V, Meadows-Taylor M, Robinson LA, Howell K, Gurney J, Hankins J, Wang W, Estepp J, Smeltzer MP. A Meta-analysis of Toxicities Related to Hydroxycarbamide Dosing Strategies. eJHaem, in press.
- Kanter J, Gibson R, Lawrence RH, Smeltzer MP, Pugh NL, Glassberg G, Masese RV, King AA, Calhoun C, Hankins JS, Treadwell M. Perceptions of US Adolescents and Adults with Sickle Cell Disease on their Quality of Care. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 May 1;3(5):e206016.
- Osarogiagbon RU, Faris NR, Stevens W, Fehnel C, Houston-Harris C, Ojeabulu P, Akinbobola O, Lee YS, Ray MA, Smeltzer MP. Beyond Margin Status: Population-Based Validation of the Proposed IASLC Residual Tumor Classification Re-categorization. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 Mar;15(3):371-382.
- Osarogiagbon R, Lee YS, Faris NR, Ray M, Ojeabulu P, Smeltzer MP. Invasive Mediastinal Staging for Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer in a Population-Based Cohort. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 May 2. pii: S0022-5223(19)30968-7.
- Smeltzer MP, Lin CC, Kong FM , Jemal A, and Osarogiagbon RU. Survival Impact of Post-Operative Therapy Modalities According to Margin Status in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients in the United States. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017 Apr 4. pBi W, Li Y, Smeltzer MP, Gao G, Zhao S, Lin X, Kang G. STEPS: An Efficient Prospective Likelihood Approach to Genetic Variant Association analyses of Secondary Traits in Extreme Phenotype Sequencing, Biostatistics. 2018 Jul 11. doi: 10.1093/biostatistics/kxy030.ii: S0022-5223(17)30604-9.
- Smeltzer MP, Faris NR, Ray MA, Fehnel C, Houston-Harris C, Ojeabulu P, Akinbobola O, Lee YS, Meadows M, Signore S, Wiggins L, Talton D, Owen E, Deese LE, Eubanks R, Wolf BA, Levy P, Robbins ET, Osarogiagbon RU. Survival before and after direct surgical quality feedback in a population-based lung cancer cohort. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018 Dec 27. pii: S0003-4975(18)31859-9.
- Smeltzer MP, Faris N, Yu X, Spencer D, Berry A, Sales E, Finch-Cruz C, Osarogiagbon RO. The Survival Impact of Missed Lymph Node Metastasis in Surgically Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Aug;102(2):448-53.
- Smeltzer MP, Rugless F, Jackson B, Foust C, Faris NR, Ray M, Meadows M, Patel A, Roark K, Kedia S, DeBon M, Crossley F, Oliver G, McHugh L, Hastings W, Osborne O, Osborne J, Ill T, Ill M, Jones W, Lee HK, Signore RS, Fox R, Li J, Robbins ET, Ward KD, Klesges LM, Osarogiagbon R. Pragmatic Trial of a Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer Care Model in a Community Healthcare Setting: Study Design, Implementation Evaluation, and Baseline Clinical Results. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2018 Feb;7(1):88-102. doi: 10.21037/tlcr.2018.01.02.
- Smeltzer MP, Nolan VG, Yu X, Nottage KA, Davis B, Yang Y, Wang WC, Gurney JG, Hankins JS. The Birth Prevalence of Sickle Cell Trait and Sickle Cell Disease in Shelby County, TN. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2016 Jun;63(6):1054-9.
- Smeltzer MP, Nolan VG, Yu X, Nottage KA, Wang WC, Hankins JS, Gurney JG. The Effects of Distance from an Urban Sickle Cell Center on Routine Healthcare Management and Rates of Hospitalization. Hemoglobin, 2015 Sep 15:1-6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26372097
- Estepp JH, Smeltzer MP, Kang G, Li C, Wang WC, Abrams C, Aygun B, Ware RE, Nottage K, Hankins JS. A Clinically Meaningful Fetal Hemoglobin Threshold for Children with Sickle Cell Anemia During Hydroxyurea Therapy. Am J Hematol. 2017 Dec;92(12):1333-1339.
- Bi W, Li Y, Smeltzer MP, Gao G, Zhao S, Lin X, Kang G. STEPS: An Efficient Prospective Likelihood Approach to Genetic Variant Association analyses of Secondary Traits in Extreme Phenotype Sequencing, Biostatistics. 2018 Jul 11. doi: 10.1093/biostatistics/kxy030.
- Guy CS, Vignali KM, Temirov J, Bettini ML, Overacre AE, Smeltzer MP, Zhang H, Huppa JB, Tsai YH, Lobry C, Xie J, Dempsey PJ, Crawford HC, Aifantis I, Davis MM, Vignali DA. Distinct TCR signaling pathways drive proliferation and cytokine production in T cells. Nature immunology. Mar 2013;14(3):262-270