B.A., 1992, West Chester University
M.A., 1994, Simmons College
Ph.D., 2001, University of Southern Mississippi
Dr. Cohoon's specialty is children's literature, with a research focus on nineteenth century U.S. children's literature. Her related research and teaching interests include periodical literature, boyhood and girlhood, literature and the law, domestic fiction, and women and literature.
- "'A Woman's Serious Foot': Feet and Shoes in Delta Wedding, 'Asphodel,' and 'The Winds.' Eudora Welty Review 3 (Spring 2011): 33-49.
- "Doughnuts and Gingerbread, Apples and Pears: Boyhood Food Economies in Nineteenth-Century Periodicals for Children." In Culinary Aesthetics and Practices in Nineteenth-Century American Literature. Eds. Monika Elbert and Marie Drews. NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009. 125-138.
- "'Unmoveable Relics': The Farr Family and Revisions of Position, Direction, and Movement in Eudora Welty's 'Clytie.'" Eudora Welty Review 1 (Spring 2009): 47-52. Invited reprint for inaugural issue.
- "A highly satisfactory Chinaman': Orientalism and American Girlhood in Louisa May Alcott's Eight Cousins." Children's Literature: An Annual 36 (2008): 49-71.
- "'A Just, a Useful Part': Lydia Huntley Sigourney and Catharine Maria Sedgwick's Contributions to The Youth's Companion." Enterprising Youth: Social Values and the Project of Acculturation in Nineteenth-Century American Children's Literature. Ed. Monika Elbert. NY: Routledge Press, 2008. 3-17.
- "Transgressive Transformations: Representations of Maid Marian in Robin Hood Retellings." Lion and the Unicorn 31.3 (Fall 2007): 209-231.
- "The Hero's Journey in Collodi's Pinocchio." Co-authored with Jacqueline L. Gmuca. Approaches to Teaching Collodi's Pinocchio and Its Adaptations. Ed. Michael Sherberg. NY: MLA. 2006. 63-67.
- "Festive Citizenships: Representations of Independence Celebrations in Children's Periodicals and Series Books of the 1840s and 1850s." Children's Literature Association Quarterly 31.2 (Summer 2006): 132-53.
- Serialized Citizenships: Periodicals, Books, and American Boys, 1840-1911. Lanham,MD: Scarecrow Press, 2006.
- "Pirate Parenting in Margaret Mahy's Middle-Grade Readers." Marvellous Codes: The Fiction of Margaret Mahy. Eds. Elizabeth Hale and Sarah Fiona Winters. Victoria: Victoria UP, 2006. 84-109.