Huigang Liang, Ph.D.
Professor | Ph.D. Coordinator | FedEx Chair of Excellence in MIS
Huigang Liang received his M.S. degree in computer science and his Ph.D. degree in healthcare information systems from Auburn University. His research interests include socio-behavioral, managerial and strategic information technology issues at both individual and organizational levels in a variety of contexts. His work has appeared in MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Journal of MIS, Journal of AIS, MIT Sloan Management Review, Communications of the ACM, Decision Support Systems, Information Systems Journal and Journal of Strategic Information Systems, among others. His research has been funded by grants from NIH, FedEx and Sloan Foundation. He has served as associate editor for MISQ and is currently senior editor for JAIS and associate editor for ISR and Information & Management.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Auburn University
- Master of Software Engineering, Auburn University
- Master of Science, China Pharmaceutical University
- Bachelor of Science, China Pharmaceutical University
Theory-driven or data-driven research that has potential to make a difference in the real world. Particularly interested in complex social, strategic, managerial, psychological and/or behavioral issues involving paradoxes. Some of Dr. Liang's current interests include IT security, IT alignment, IT ambidexterity, healthcare IT and data analytics.
A+ Journal Publications
- Zhu, J, Feng, G., and Liang H. (2023). How Paternalistic Leaders Motivate Employees’ Information Security Compliance? Building Climate and Applying Sanctions. JAIS. In press.
- Hu, H, Wang, N, Liang, H. (2023). Effects of Multi-Dimension Business-IT Alignment on Organizational Agility: A Configurational Theory Approach. JAIS. 24(2), 490-529.
- Liang H., Wang, N, Xue, Y. (2022). Juggling IT exploration and exploitation to improve organizational agility? How can firms be ambidextrous? Information Systems Research. 33(4), 1386-1402.
- Liang H., and Xue, Y. (2022). Save face or save life? Physicians’ dilemma in using clinical decision support systems. Information Systems Research. 33(2), 737-758.
- Wang, N, Liang H., Ge, S., Xue, Y, and Hou, J. (2021). How to Persuade the Crowd to Fund? Insights from the Perspective of Elaboration Likelihood Model. Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 22(3), 4.
- Liang H., Xue, Y., Pinsonneault, A. and Wu, Y. (2019). What users do besides problem-focused coping when facing IT security threats: An emotion-focused coping perspective. MIS Quarterly. 43(2), 373-394.
- Feng, G, Zhu, J, Wang, N, and Liang H. (2019). How paternalistic leadership influences IT security policy compliance: The mediating role of social bond. Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 20(11) Article 2.
- Liang H., Wang, N, Xue, Y. and Ge, S. (2017). Unraveling the Alignment Paradox: Does Business-IT Alignment Enhance or Reduce Organizational Agility? Information Systems Research. 28(4), 863-879.
- Liang H., Xue, Y., and Zhang, Z. (2017). Understanding online health information use: the case of physically disabled people. Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 18(6) 433-460.
- Liang H., Peng, Z., Xue, Y., Guo, X., Wang, N. (2015). Understanding employees’ exploration of complex systems: An integrative view. Journal of Management Information Systems. 32(1), 322-357.
- Liang H., Xue, Y., and Wu, L. (2013). Ensuring employees’ IT compliance: carrot or stick? Information Systems Research. 24(2), 279-294.
- Wang, N, Liang H., Zhong, W., Xue, Y., and Xiao, J. (2012). Resource structuring or capability building? An empirical study of strategic value of information technology. Journal of Management Information Systems. 29(2), 325-367.
- Xue, Y., Liang H., and Wu, L. (2011). Punishment, justice, and compliance with mandatory IT usage. Information Systems Research. 22(2), 400-414.
- Liang H., Xue, Y., Ke, W., and Wei, K. (2010).Understanding the influence of team climate on IT use. Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 11(8), 414-432.
- Liang H. and Xue, Y. (2010). Understanding security behaviors in personal computer usage: a threat avoidance perspective. Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 11(7), 394-413.
- Liang, H. and Xue, Y. (2009). Avoidance of IT threats: A theoretical perspective. MIS Quarterly. 33(1), 71-90.
- Xue, Y., Liang H., and Boulton, WR. (2008). IT Governance in Information Systems Investment Decision Making Processes: the Impact of Investment Characteristics, External Environment, and Internal Context. MIS Quarterly. 32(1), 67-96.
- Liang H., Saraf, N., Hu, Q. and Xue, Y. (2007). Assimilation of enterprise systems: the effect of institutional pressures and the mediating role of top management. MIS Quarterly, 31(1), 59-87.
- Pavlou, P., Liang H., and Xue, Y. (2007). Understanding and Mitigating Uncertainty in Online Exchange Relationships: A Principal-Agent Perspective. MIS Quarterly, 31(1), 105-136.
Recent External Grants
Huigang Liang (PI), Improving FedEx Supply Chain Demand Forecasting in Turbulent Environments. Source: FedEx. 2022-2023.
Kavita Radhakrishnan (PI), Huigang Liang (Co-I). R01HL162598: A sensor-controlled digital game-based approach to improve self-care behaviors among adults diagnosed with hypertension in a Native American community.Source: NIH. 2022 – 2027.
Ross Gruetzemacher (PI), Huigang Liang (Co-I). Enhancing Scientific Research Productivity with Foundation Models. Source: Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2022.