Welcome to Theatre & Dance
The Department of Theatre & Dance at the University of Memphis fosters the development of our students on an individual basis. We offer a BFA in Theatre with concentrations in performance, musical theatre, dance, dance science and design and technical production as well as an MFA in Theatre with concentrations in directing and design and technical production. We tailor our program to your needs. We offer dynamic performance, design, and production opportunities both in the classroom and in our four performance spaces. We also create an intimate community for intense one-on-one learning opportunities. Our faculty nurtures the individual progress of each student. We offer the opportunity for students to explore a range of areas within the theatre or a specialization in only one.
Applications for students looking to join the Department of Theatre & Dance in Fall Semester 2018 are now available! More Information can be found at Application and Audition Process.
To educate the next generation of theatre artists for successful careers in the performing arts, the entertainment industry and arts education and to contribute to the enrichment of the cultural climate of the community, region and beyond as engaged partners. Central to the mission is the belief that theoretical and practical courses combined with production experiences and personalized mentorship are critical to the education and training of our students.
VisionTo continuously create a dynamic, rich environment that fosters excellence in research, production, teaching, learning, community outreach and collaboration.
ValuesThe Department of Theatre & Dance embraces the following values in teaching, creativity, research and service; integrity, professionalism, innovation, respect and collegiality.
The primary goals of the theatre unit are to provide:
- Public education designed to enrich the intellectual competence and achievement of the populace it serves regionally and nationally.
- An academic environment for educational, creative, entrepreneurial and scholarly pursuits.
- Theatre education and training that combine a professional focus within a Liberal Arts foundation.
- Leadership and involvement in the artistic growth of Memphis, the state of Tennessee and the nation.
- An avenue dedicated to the discovery, acquisition, dissemination, and preservation of knowledge for the advancement of our community.