The Academic Advising Center advises all pre-nursing students, including new freshman, students changing their major to pre-nursing, and transfer pre-nursing students.
To be eligible to enter the nursing program you must meet the following criteria:
- Admitted to the University of Memphis as a degree-seeking undergraduate student.
- Minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.0
- Minimum Nursing Program prerequisite GPA of 3.0 for the following courses:
- CHEM 1010/1011 – Chemistry of Materials/Lab (or CHEM 1110/1111 – General Chemistry/Lab)
- BIOL 2010/2011 – Anatomy and Physiology I/Lab
- BIOL 2020/2021– Anatomy and Physiology II/Lab
- BIOL 1230/1231 – Microbiology/Lab
- MATH 1530 – Probability & Statistics (or equivalent)
- NUTR 2202 – Nutrition
- EDPR 2111 – Development Across Lifespan
These courses must be completed with a “C” or higher.
- Only 1 Nursing Program Prerequisite course may be repeated only once, including labs. If repeated the second earned letter grade of the repeated course will be used in the prerequisite GPA calculation (regardless of if grade is higher or lower). The first letter grade for all remaining Nursing Program Prerequisite courses will be used in the prerequisite GPA calculation.
- PSYC 1030 – General Psychology is required as General Education Social Science with a “C-” or higher.
- All General Education courses and all Nursing Program prerequisite courses must be completed or in-progress at the date of application as long as they are complete prior to starting the Nursing Program.
- A minimum of 60 hours must be complete prior to starting the Nursing Program.
- Required documentation: (1) Resume; (2) Letter of Interest; (3) Reference Letter.
- Clearance of all high school deficiencies.
- Science courses must be completed within five (5) years of LCON admission. In-person sciences are preferred.
- Students transferring from another Nursing program must submit a letter of good standing from the Dean/Director of the previous Nursing program along with a transcript. Transfer applicants with less than a grade of “C” in a Nursing course will not be eligible. This includes repeated Nursing courses in which a grade above “C” was earned.
- All transcripts from every college attended must be sent, received, and evaluated by UofM Admissions Office.
- Applicants must be admitted to the UofM or an active UofM current student for the Term in which they wish to start LCON.
All pre-nursing students are advised in the ACC. If you are currently advised in the ACC, you can login to your MyMemphis portal and go to NAVIGATE to schedule an advising appointment. If you are changing your major to pre-nursing, are a transfer student, or are a new student, please contact the ACC at (901) 678-2062.
If you are currently a Registered Nurse (RN) contact the Loewenberg College of Nursing at 901.678.2003.
Transfer Pre-Nursing Students
The ACC advises all transfer pre-nursing students; appointments can be made by calling 901.678.2062.
Second Degree Students
The Loewenberg College of Nursing offers an accelerated track for those students who already have earned a baccalaureate degree. The accelerated program is a fast paced, intensive program that only begins in the fall term. Students in the accelerated program take courses for 16 months (Fall - Spring - Summer [Pre-Summer, 1st and 2nd term] - Fall) to obtain their degree.
Accelerated track students must meet the same admission criteria listed above.
Contact the Academic Advising Center at 901.678.2062 or at email@example.com with any questions.