The Search for UofM's 13th President
Following President M. David Rudd's announcement that he will be leaving his position within the next year, the University of Memphis is conducting a national search for its 13th president.
Board of Trustees Chair, Doug Edwards, announced on March 10, 2021, the approval to hire a national search firm to assist with the process.
Parker Executive Search has been selected to assist the University in the presidential search. Their higher education search practice is one of the most highly regarded in the country, providing services to both public and private colleges and universities to aggressively recruit academic leaders. PES has conducted more than 500 successful higher education searches for chancellor, president, vice president, provost, dean, chair and director positions. Learn more about Parker Executive Search >
Search Firm Contacts
A search committee has been appointed to assist in the process. Board of Trustees Vice Chair, Carol Roberts, will chair the committee.
Presidential Search Surveys
This is an important process, and we want to ensure that faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members have their voices heard regarding their needs, interests and vision for the next leader of our institution. Constituents will have various opportunities to be involved, and the surveys below are the primary methods to share your feedback with the presidential search committee.
The process of the search for our next president will be thoughtful, inclusive and transparent. According to statute 49-7-154 of the Tenneessee Code Annotated, "Prior to initiating a search to fill a position listed in subdivision (c)(1), a meeting that is open to the public and subject to the requirements of title 8, chapter 44, part 1, shall be held by the governing board to establish the search process, a timeline, and a statement of qualifications for the position."
- March 2021 | Hire national search firm
- April 2021 | Populate search committee to be chaired by Board of Trustees Vice Chair, Carol Roberts
- May – June 2021 | Host town halls to discuss desired qualities in candidates
- June – September 2021 | Advertise, identify and recruit candidates for the position. PES to provide updates to the search committee.
- October 2021 | The Presidential Search Committee will identify ten (more or less) candidates for PES to schedule initial interviews. From that group the committee will select up to 4 finalists for campus interviews.
- October – November 2021 | The University of Memphis campus community and Board of Trustees will conduct on campus interviews with the finalists. A special meeting called for the Board of Trustees to select the President.
UofM President M. David Rudd leaving position
March 10, 2021 - Dr. M. David Rudd, the 12th president of the University of Memphis, will be leaving his position by May 2022. He will transition to faculty in 2023 to continue his research, after a year sabbatical abroad.
UofM Board of Trustees Hosts Special-Called Meeting
March 10, 2021 - The Board of Trustees hosted a special-called meeting on March 10 to discuss the presidential search process which may include the search committee composition and the use of an executive search firm. Meeting minutes will be reviewd at the next board meeting on June 2.