Employers Value Engineering Majors
Many Herff students land permanent jobs before they graduate. That's because the Herff College of Engineering helps you build a strong résumé while you are in college. Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a Top 10 university with successful internship programs, the University of Memphis operates with the philosophy of being driven by doing. Herff College of Engineering's Academic Internship Program provides students with the valuable, real-world experience that only hands-on internships provide.
Herff has a national reputation for providing students with relevant engineering work experience through a paid Cooperative Education/Internship Program. Many of our industry partners provide on-site training for Herff student interns because they hope to hire them after graduation.
Electrical & Computer Engineering '23
Myles is a Computer Engineering student in the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department at the Herff College of Engineering.
Civil Engineering '23
Abigail graduated from the Herff College of Engineering with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering in May 2023. As an intern, she was offered a job upon graduation. She is with the Flintco construction team working on the new STEM and research building on the UofM campus.
Biomedical Engineering '25
Sarah is a senior in the Biomedical Engineering Department at the Herff College of Engineering.
Engineering Technology '24
Maria is a senior in the Engineering Technology Department at the Herff College of Engineering.
Mechanical Engineering '25
“I chose to study engineering because of my innate desire to understand the complex machines that drive our society.”
Buster Benton plans to graduate in 2025 with two degrees: Mechanical Engineering and Math. In his hometown of Marion, Arkansas, he volunteers to help a small business where he helps manage the money, answers phones or fixing office equipment that breaks. Last summer, he was an intern at Black and Veatch in Overland Park, KS. As a member of their federal division, he worked o projects for the Department of Defense and other defense agencies. He was able to see, firsthand, how different disciplines collaborated on projects in the workplace.
ENGINEERING YOUR FUTURE
At Herff College of Engineering, student success is one of top priorities. Investing in their success helps build the future. We provide a pipeline of programs and activities to cultivate our students in systematic ways. We recruit, retain, connect and equip Herff students with the skills and knowledge that will give them the professional edge. We are careful to include our commuter student population who otherwise might not have the opportunity to connect with students who live on campus. It is important that all Herff students find success after life in college!
Your Degree at Work
Who hires University of Memphis Engineering majors?
Explore below to learn how UofM students put their Engineering degrees to work.
Average Number of Years of Work Experience
for Herff College of Engineering Alumni
- The average salary of alumni is $74,981.
- The TOP 10 employers of Biomedical Engineering students from the University of Memphis are Abbott, Charles River Laboratories, Fedex, Medtronic, Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, Microport Orthopedics, Smith & Nephew, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Stryker, UTHSC College of Pharmacy.
- 68.2% of Biomedical Engineering alum work in TN. The second-highest state is California at 3.7%
- The most frequent job title associated with a Biomedical Engineer is Quality Engineer.
- Microsoft Excel, Matlab, Research, Medical Devices, and Leadership are top skills to have for Biomedical Engineers.
- The average salary of alumni is $86,819.
- The TOP 10 employers of Civil Engineering students from the University of Memphis are A2H, City of Memphis, Fisher Arnold, Kimley-Horn, MLGW, Parsons Corporation, Professional Service Industries, Smith Seckman Reid, State of Tennessee, US Army Corps of Engineers.
- 60.9% of alumni with a Civil Engineering degree are employed in Tennessee. The second-highest state Texas at 4.6%.
- The most frequent job title associated with a Civil Engineer is Project Manager.
- Autocad, Construction Management, Project Management, Microsoft Excel, and Engineering are top skills to have for Civil Engineers.
Electrical & Computer Engineering
- The average salary of alumni is $106,222.
- The TOP 10 employers of Electrical & Computer Engineering students from the University of Memphis are Amazon, Copart, Eagleview, Fedex, Fedex Express, Fedex Services, Intel Corporation, MLGW, Mytrah Energy, Stryker.
- 75% of alumni with an Electrical & Computer Engineering degree are employed in Tennessee. The second-highest state is Georgia at 6.2%
- The most frequent job title associated with an Electrical & Computer Engineer is Automation Engineer.
- Java, C++, Leadership, Matlab, and C Programming are top skills to have for Electrical & Computer Engineers.
- The average salary of alumni is $86,833.
- The TOP 10 employers of Engineering Technology students from the University of Memphis are ABB, Amazon, Autozone, Fedex, Fedex Express, Fedex Services, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, MLGW, Smith & Nephew, United States Navy.
- 60.4% of alumni with a Engineer Technology degree are employed in Tennessee. The second-highest is Mississippi at 6.4%
- The most frequent job title associated with Engineering Technology is Manufacturing Engineer.
- Business Project Management, Engineering, Leadership, and Manufacturing are top skills to have for Engineer Technologist.
- The average salary of alumni is $83,748.
- The TOP 10 employers of Mechanical Engineering students from the University of Memphis are ABB, Barnhard Crane & Rigging, Cummins, Fedex, Fedex Express, Fedex Services, Medtronic, Parker Hannifin, Smith & Nephew, TK Elevator.
- 60.9% of alumni with a Mechanical Engineer degree are employed in Tennessee. The second-highest is Mississippi at 3.9%
- The most frequent job title associated with Mechanical Engineering is Mechanical Engineer.
- Engineering, Project Management, Manufacturing, and Autocad are the top skills to have for Mechanical Engineers.