Master of Science MS Degree Program
This program is designed for students who are seeking advanced study and professional development in education focusing on Instruction and Curriculum, Instructional Design and Technology, Reading, Early Childhood Education, or Special Education. Specific program requirements for the listed concentrations are found on the ICL website. An option for students seeking the MS degree with a concentration in Instruction and Curriculum is to complete program requirements that prepare students to apply for a Tennessee Library Information Specialist Endorsement.
A. Program Admission
Admission to the Graduate School and admission to a specific ICL graduate program are separate procedures. Applicants must submit the following admissions materials before the application will be reviewed:
- An application to the Graduate School that includes:
- Official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study;
- Applicants whose native language is other than English must score at least 550 (or 210 computer-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Submit the ICL Department MS Application along with two letters of recommendation on letterhead, preferably one from a college/university professor to the Graduate Analyst in Ball Hall 215 (3798 Walker Ave, Memphis, TN 38152). All application information must be received by February 1 for summer semesters, April 1 for fall semesters, and October 1 for spring semesters.
- The above criteria represent the minimum acceptable admission requirements. Depending on the applicant's educational background, the graduate committee may require additional coursework to prepare the student for advanced master's level studies.
Multiple criteria will be used when considering applicant admission, including, but not limited to, undergraduate and graduate grade point averages, scores of the submitted tests, and letters of recommendation.
B. Program Requirements for the MS degree
- A minimum of 30 graduate semester hours is required.
- The major will consist of 18-21 semester hours including an ICL 7992 Master's Project or ICL 7996 Thesis or IDT 7095 Developing Interactive Learning Environments. Students electing to write a thesis must adhere to the Thesis/Dissertation Preparation Guide.
- EDPR 7521 Introduction to Educational Research
- Three (3)-six (6) semester hours of electives are required. Courses taken depend on the undergraduate background, previous experiences of the student, and the nature of the major area of concentration. These courses must be approved by the assigned advisor and support the major area of study.