Experiential Learning Credit (ELC Portfolio Process)
Students interested in pursuing ELC through the creation of a learning portfolio should follow these steps: Please note: if you are not currently enrolled as a tuition student at the University of Memphis, but would like to construct a prior learning portfolio, please contact the Experiential Learning Coordinator to learn how to get started with the process through Continuing Education.
1. Current enrolled student contacts Academic Advisor to ensure ELC will fulfill degree requirements. RN-BSN students should review this document.
2. Student views the Experiential Learning Credit (ELC) Orientation Powerpoint.* [ELC PowerPoint]
*If using Internet Explorer, please choose the "save" option and then open the Powerpoint presentation.
3. Student completes the Letter of Intent (LOI). The LOI serves as the petition for prior learning credit and as the agreement for participating in the ELC program.
4. Student submits a non-refundable evaluation fee equal to one credit hour of experiential learning credit ($75 per credit hour for undergraduate and $100 per credit hour for graduate). Should the portfolio be judged by the expert reviewer to be worthy of college credit, the evaluation fee will be credited toward the student's remaining balance based on the credit hours granted.
5. Student completes the seven progressive modules in the Experiential Learning Credit course.
6. Credit may be awarded based on the faculty assessor's determination that the portfolio provides sufficient evidence that the knowledge and skills a student has acquired outside the classroom are equivalent to what one would acquire in respective coursework.
7. Student is notified of faculty evaluator's decision via email.