Dr. Kenneth Haggerty
Associate Dean for Innovation and Scholarly Engagement & Associate Professor
I provide leadership and direction for the management and supervision of several organization-wide functions and activities including, but not limited to, the University Libraries’ Institutional Repository; the open data archive; open access journal development and publication; the core collection of open educational resources; and the Digital Commons including its public display. Other responsibilities include assuring the maintenance, development, and quality of the underlying databases and I work closely with other faculty and staff to achieve these goals. I am also responsible for the the development and implementation of the University Libraries’ liaison program, the University Libraries website and other supporting platforms.
- Ph.D., Information Science & Learning Technologies, University of Missouri, 2016.
- M.L.I.S, Library & Information Science, University of Alabama, 2011.
- B.A., History, Rhodes College, 2009.
- Associate Dean for Innovative and Scholarly Engagement, Associate Professor, March 2023-Present
- Adjunct Professor, University of Missouri School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, ISLT 3450: Introduction to Educational Research, Fall 2023-Present.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Missouri School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, ISLT 7314: Reference Sources and Services, Fall 2019-Present.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Memphis Instruction and Curriculum Leadership Department, ICL 7731 Introduction to Bibliography, Fall 2022-Present.
- Adjunct Professor, University of South Florida School of Information, LIS 3261 Introduction to Information Science, Fall 2022-Present.
- Digital Initiatives Coordinator, Associate Professor, September 2022-March 2023.
- Digital Initiatives Coordinator, Assistant Professor, December 2020-August 2022.
- User Interfaces Librarian, Assistant Professor, University of Memphis Libraries, November 2016-November 2020.
- Teaching Assistant, School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, University of Missouri, August 2014 to May 2015.
- Research Assistant, Information Experience Laboratory, School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, August 2012 to July 2016.
- Tuscaloosa News Intern, Tuscaloosa News, University of Alabama, September 2011 to December 2011.
- Annex Assistant, University's Library Annex, University of Alabama, September 2011 to December 2011.
- Special Collections Reference Assistant, Hoole Special Collections Library, University of Alabama, January 2011 to August 2011.
- Geographic Information Systems
- Documentary Film
- Film Archives
- Harrington, C. & Haggerty, K. (2022). Publications Oversight Board for Open Access Journals at the University of Memphis: A Case Study. To be Published in Academic Libraries and Collaborative Research Services. Ed. Carrie Forbers. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Haggerty, K. (2021). Searching for Porcupines: Using illustrations to teach information literacy. In Teach Library and Information Literacy with a Sense of Humor: Why (and How to) Be a Funnier and More Effective Library Instructor and Laugh All the Way to Your Classroom. Ed. Vaidya, K. Curious Academic Publishing.
- Tawfik, A., Haggerty, K. & Vann, S. (2020). Rethinking the Role of the Library in an Era of Inquiry-Based Learning: Opportunities for Interdisciplinary Approaches. In Intersections Across Disciplines: Interdisciplinary and Learning. Ed. Hokanson, B., Exter, M., Grincewicz, A., Schmidt, M., Tawfik, A. Springer International Publishing.
- Haggerty, K. (2020). Intellectual Property Guidelines for the Digital Humanities. Chapter in the Routledge Handbook for Digital Humanities Research Methods. Ed. Stuart Dunn & Kristen Schuster. London: Routledge Handbooks Online.
- Scott, R., Haggerty, K. (2019). Teaching Copyleft as a Critical Approach to "Information has Value" in Credit-bearing Information Literacy Courses: Critical Approaches . Ed. Angela Pashia & Jessica Critten. Chicago: Association of College & Research Libraries.
- Stewart, K. & Haggerty, K. (2019). International Student Perceptions of Libraries: Experiences from the Middle East and North Africa. Chapter in The Globalized Library: American Academic Libraries and International Students, Collections, and Practices, Yelena Luckert with Lindsay Taylor Inge, Editors. Chicago: Association of College & Research Libraries.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Haggerty, K, Harrington, C. & Scott, R. (2022). Integrating Library Resources in a Learning Management System: Exploring Instructor Obstacles and Motivations.” College and Research Libraries.
- Million, A.J. & Haggerty, K. (2020). An Exploratory Study of Organizational Alignment in U.S. Academic Libraries. Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, 9 (2), pp. 191-205.
- Haggerty, K. & Scott, R. (2019). Do, or Do Not, Make Them Think?: A Usability Study of an Academic Library Search Box. Journal of Web Librarianship, 13 (4), pp. 296-310.
- Bossaller, J. & Haggerty K. (2018). We are not police: Public librarians’ attitudes about making and intellectual property. Public Library Quarterly.
- Bishop, B.W., Haggerty, K.C., & Richardson, B.E. (2015). Usability of E-government mapping applications: lessons learned from the U.S. National Atlas. International Journal of Cartography.
Non-Refereed Journal Articles
- Scott, R, Harrington, C & Haggerty, K. (2019). An Overview of Data Stewardship Week in an Academic Library. College & Research Libraries News. Chicago: Association of College & Research Libraries.
- McDonald, E. & Haggerty, K. (2022, April 12-14). Using bepress Digital Commons to Showcase Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD): the Migration Process. 2022 Tennessee Library Association Conference (TLA).
- Haggerty, K. & Harrington, C. (2022, March 14-17). Challenges of Classroom Film Screenings and How Libraries Can Help. Electronic Resources & Libraries Virtual Conference.
- Harrington, C., Scott, R. & Haggerty, K. (2021, May 19-21). Usability Studies in the Electronic Resource Life Cycle. To be published in the 2021 NASIG Conference Proceedings.
- Tawfik, A., Haggerty, K. & Vann, S. (2019, July 17,18). Rethinking the role of the library in an era of inquiry-based learning: Opportunities for interdisciplinary approaches. Co-presenter at 2019 AECT Summer Research Symposium, Bloomington, IN.
- Tawfik, A., Brynteson, K., Duboff B., Dousay, T., Haggerty, K. & Shipley, S. (2018, Oct 26).The Role of the Library in Supporting Inquiry-Based Learning and Next Generation Science Standards. Panel presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technologies, Kansas City, MO.
- Bossaller, J. & Haggerty, K. (2017, April 21). Is it our job to police them? Librarians, intellectual property, and ethics in public libraries. Paper presented at Information Ethics Roundtable 2017, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL.
- Evans, John & Haggerty K. (2017, April 4). Ain't Nobody Else Got That: Using Vital to Highlight Special Collections at the University of Memphis. Presentation at the Innovative User's Group Annual Meeting 2017, National Harbor, MD.
- Adkins, D., Haggerty, K. & Haggerty, T. (2014, November 4). The Influence of Community Demographics on New Public Library Facilities. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting for Information Science & Technology, Seattle, Washington.
- Richardson, B. Yadamsuren, B. & Haggerty, K. (2013, October 3). Innovative Usability Techniques for Library Websites. Paper presented at the Missouri Library Association Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Stewart, K. & Haggerty, K. (2013, June 3). Crossing the Library Divide: Understanding Arab International Students' Perceptions of the Academic Library. Paper presented at the International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, Rome, Italy.
- Haggerty, K. (2019, September 24). Usability as a Method to Analyze a Library Search Box and Interfaces. Works in Progress Poster presentation at the Association for Library and Information Science Education 2019 Conference, Knoxville, TN.
- Haggerty, K., Cosgrove, A., Griffin, J. (2018, November 12). Using Virtual Worlds to investigate perceived affordances on learned navigation and objective location performance. Poster presented at the 2018 Association for Information Science & Technology, Vancouver, Canada.
- Haggerty, K. (2016, January 7). A Grounded Theory Study on the Copyright State of Play of Film Archives in Reference to the Accessibility and Reuse of Archival Footage for Documentary Filmmakers. Poster presented at the ALISE Jean Tague-Sutcliffe Doctoral Student Poster Competition, 11th Meeting of the Association for Library and Information Science Education, Boston, MA.
- Haggerty, K., Million, A. J. & Schuster, K. (2015, January 27). Library Association Membership in Periods of Economic Crisis. Works-in-Progress Poster presented at the 10th Meeting of the Association for Library and Information Science Education, Chicago, IL.
- Haggerty, K., Yadamsuren, B., Kibaru, F. & Basic, J. (2013, November 4). Children's Information Needs of a Patient Engagement System in a Hospital Room: Insights from Usability Testing in a Simulation Laboratory. Poster presented at the 2013 Association for Information Science & Technology Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada.