Local Government Management Certificate
What is the Local Government Management Certificate?
The Local Government Management Certificate provides cutting edge knowledge and management skills for mayors, managers, department heads, supervisors and other local government professionals. The graduate certificate offers new opportunity for municipal professionals seeking advanced education and career advancement. Professionals with the certificate have an opportunity to distinguish themselves as administrators with the knowledge and skills to succeed as effective and wise leaders in local government.
The certificate requires 15 hours of graduate coursework for completion, three core courses and two electives. Most courses may be taken either on campus or online.
- Core Local Government Management Courses, 9 hours:
- PADM 6221, Urban Administration
- PADM 7602, Public Budgeting and Finance
- PADM 7224, Seminar in Urban Problems
- Electives, 6 hours.The elective courses will be selected with the student and their advisor. Some elective courses may not be available in online format.
- PADM 7605, Human Resources Administration
- PADM 7612, Program and Policy Evaluation
- PADM 7603, Public and Nonprofit Contract Administration
- PLAN 7000, Introduction to Planning
- PLAN 7202, Land Use Planning
- POLS 6222, Urban Politics
How long does it take to complete the certificate?
Coursework for the certificate can usually be completed in a 12-18 month time frame.
Can I do the certificate and still work full time?
Scheduling for the certificate is designed for the working professional. Classes are offered either on campus one night a week or online format.
How much does the certificate cost?
Tuition and fees for the certificate are the same as regular graduate tuition for the University of Memphis. There is no additional fee for enrolling in the program. The fee schedule is available on the UM web site.
Can I earn the certificate while I am enrolled in another degree program at University of Memphis?
Yes. The certificate may complement a course of graduate study in a different field. As such, applicants may be enrolled in another graduate degree program. Please contact the Certificate Advisor (below) for more information on how to enroll in the certificate.
Who should I contact for more information about the certificate program?
Dr. Joseph Hafer
The University of Memphis
223 Browning Hall
Memphis, TN 38152