Why study city planning in Memphis?
If you are considering graduate school as your next step, choose a proven path to a meaningful career in City Planning. Planners are dedicated to making communities more equitable, just, and sustainable. Here are the benefits of pursuing a Master’s in City and Regional Planning at the University of Memphis:<
- Employment – with purpose: 95% of our graduates find jobs in city planning within 6 months of earning their degree. They create affordable housing, develop bike lanes, revitalize neighborhoods, make walkable public spaces, and give voice to marginalized communities.
- Low cost: Tuition at the UofM is affordable, even for out-of-state students. Memphis offers a vibrant urban setting with a lower cost of living than comparable cities. Urbanplanningdegree.com ranks us among the Top 25 Most Affordable Urban Planning Schools.
- Funding opportunities: 60% of our current students benefit from some form of graduate assistantship or internship that helps with tuition.
- Hands-on learning: The city is our classroom. We provide students with real opportunities to participate as members of the local planning community
- Access to a network of leaders: Our graduates hold leadership positions in local government and nonprofit organizations in Memphis, and throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas. And as one of 76 accredited planning programs, our degree can get you a job anywhere. Recent graduates are working in California, Pennsylvania, Florida, Wyoming, Washington, and Alaska.
- International perspectives: Our program has had a summer study abroad partnership with academic and community partners in Sicily since 2012.
- Acclaimed: Planetizen’s Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs, 7th Ed., ranks our program among the Top 10 in the South (#8).
If you want to know more, click and complete this short interest form and we will be in touch!
2022-2023 Academic Year Annual Report
Click to read highlights in education, career placement, research, and community engagement.
Songs of the City Playlist
Since 2010, our department has compiled an annual playlist of "city songs," as a nod the musical heritage of Memphis. Click the cassette tape to go the playlist!