Student Employment

FAQ's - Frequently asked questions

Do I have to be a Student?

Yes. You must be enrolled as at least a half-time student to be eligible to work on-campus. Note: Half time is 6 credit hours for Undergraduate/ Law students; and 5 credit hours for Graduate students. If your classes are dropped due to failure to pay tuition, you will not be able to continue working.


Is this a GA position?

No, this position is Regular Student Employment.


How often must I be available to work?

You must be available to work at least 2 shifts per week.


I am eligible for Federal Work Study, can I still apply?

Yes, this position is for both Regular Student Employment as well as Federal Work Study. Please note, if you currently receive Federal Work Study for another position you cannot keep both positions. Federal Work Study only allows one position at a time.


I am an International Student, can I still apply?

International Students are invited to apply for this position. However, you must be enrolled Full-Time and able to get a social security card. Also, you are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week. Note: Full time is 12 credit hours for Undergraduate/Law students; and 9 credit hours for Graduate students. If you have questions regarding employment visa restrictions, contact your International Students Advisor, Wilder Tower, Room 204, at (901) 678.1765.


I just got admitted to this university, when can I start working?

If you have just been admitted, you cannot start working until the first day of classes for that semester.


How will I be paid?

You are paid bi-weekly at an hourly rate. Payment is made every other Friday and direct deposited into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account you must obtain a checking or savings account to be paid.