Master of Science in Health Studies with a Concentration Physical Education Teacher Education
The master's degree program in Health Studies with a Concentration Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) provides a course of study at the graduate level regarding research on teaching in physical education and research on teacher education in physical education. This degree option focuses on the theoretical, methodological, and research aspects of teaching and learning in physical education. The program emphasizes contemporary models of instruction, curriculum, assessment, and supervision in physical education. Some other key aspects of the program are:
- Is a 36 hour program, inclusive of 6 hours of faculty-directed research (thesis or project).
- Provides a research-centered program for students interested in pursuing advanced graduate study (PhD) in physical education or physical activity in related disciplines (e.g., coaching, health education, community-settings).
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the PETE field for students who are interested in pursuing PhD studies.
- Provides a strong focus on research methods and statistics relevant to physical education, promoting research understanding regardless of career goal.
- Provides freedom to students to select elective courses specific to their personal interests and career goals.
Career opportunities include advancement in the teaching field, such as public schools, colleges and universities and related education fields in the community. The M.S. degree will provide an introduction to research and a knowledge base from which to pursue advanced study leading to a doctorate degree in physical education. The degree will assist students to become informed leaders in the field of teaching physical education and health. In addition, this program of study will provide a range of research skills that could provide students with the basis for research and evaluation of programs. Depending on their chosen path, students will gain experience in many aspects of physical education research. This may include recruitment and screening of subjects, equipment operation, data collection and analysis, program evaluation, grant and manuscript preparation, and oral and written presentation of research findings.