M.A. in Technical Communication
The M.A. in Technical Communication prepares students for careers in editing, policy writing, and publication management. Students are taught to write for industry, government, technology, and the scientific disciplines.
Technical Communication courses emphasize:
- Writing and editing to achieve specific purposes and address specific audiences,
- Producing different types of documents, including instructional manuals, reports, and proposals,
- Using writing as a tool for learning,
- Working collaboratively to solve problems, and
- Evaluating the findings of empirical research.
- Many courses incorporate technology to build students' skills in using multimedia applications, web pages and other internet applications. Courses are often offered online or in the evening to accommodate working professionals.
Graduates in Professional Writing have been in demand by local businesses, including Federal Express, AutoZone, and Brother Industries where they work as editors, as writers of policy and procedural manuals, and as managers of the publication process. Some of our graduates are currently pursuing Ph.D.s in Professional Writing at the University of Memphis and at other universities.
For more information about the MA in Technical Communication program requirements, visit the Graduate Catalog.
Ready to write your own future?