The Department of Physics and Materials Science has scholarships available for undergraduate students based on need and academic performance. Please contact the Undergraduate Advisor for information on applying for the department scholarships listed below.
Additionally, a list of all the scholarships at the University of Memphis can be found at the Tiger Scholarship Manager. More scholarship information can be found at the University of Memphis Scholarships.
Dr. Albert H. Woollett Scholarship
Students who meet the minimum requirements outlined below are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- The student must:
- Be a physics major at the University of Memphis;
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0;
- Maintain full-time status; and
- Financial aid shall be considered.
- Additionally, the student must:
- Have completed at least 12 hours of coursework in physics; and
- Must not have received a grade below a B in any Physics course taken in the last three years.
- Preference will be given to students who have
- completed a greater number of semester hours in Physics,
- a higher GPA in Physics,
- a greater financial need,
- made a substantial contribution in undergraduate research, and
- contributed strongly to the activities of the SPS chapter
- The recipient may retain the scholarship until graduation if the eligibility requirements are maintained subject to the approval of the selection committee. The scholarship may not be retained for more than eight semesters (fall and spring).
To apply for the scholarship, please visit the Dr. Albert H. Woollett Scholarship entry at the Tiger Scholarship Manager.
Please follow these steps to make a donation to the Albert Woollett Memorial Scholarship.
- Click on the link provided below.
- Enter gift amount and press enter
- Choose "I would like to give to a fund not listed here" (enter)
- Write "Woollett Scholarship" (enter)
- Proceed with the remaining questions.
Dr. Robert R. Marchini Scholarship in Physics
Dr. Robert Marchini received the Distinguished Teaching Award in 2008. Professor Robert "Bob" Marchini has been teaching at the UofM since 1967. He also served as the undergraduate advisor and laboratory coordinator in his department and advisor for both Sigma Pi Sigma and the Society of Physics Students. He is well known for his "Magic of Physics" demonstrations, in which he uses an assortment of magician-like tricks to illustrate principles of physics.
Follow this link for more information or to donate to Dr. Robert R. Marchini Scholarship in Physics.
Award shall be given to:
- Deserving and qualified students at the University of Memphis majoring in physics who have completed the Intro to Physics course
- Minimum GPA of 2.75
- Preference shall be given to high-ability students with a demonstrated financial need.
- Each scholarship shall be awarded for one academic year. Recipients may reapply in subsequent years provided they maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and participate in fifteen (15) hours of service for the Department of Physics and Materials Science each semester.
Award recipients, the number of awards, and the amount of each award shall be determined by a committee appointed by the Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, which will include Dr. Robert R. Marchini as long as he is willing and able to participate. The selection process shall be coordinated through the UofM Scholarship Office.
To apply for the scholarship, please visit the Dr. Robert R. Marchini Scholarship in Physics entry at the Tiger Scholarship Manager.