How to Register for Classes
After you have been accepted into the University of Memphis exchange program, each incoming J-1 exchange student will receive an email from the UofM Study Abroad Office assigning an advisor. Your assigned advisor will assist you with registration, housing, required materials to submit, and any other questions you may have.
Search for Available Classes
See what's being offered and begin forming an idea of what you might take. Class offerings are available online, usually one month before registration opens.
- UofM students should login to the myMemphis portal and search the semester's class offerings using the Look Up Classes feature.
- If you are not an admitted student, use the Class Schedule Search (Dynamic Schedule) to search classes.
Please note that J-1 exchange students can only enroll in classes that are offered on the UofM Main Campus. This will be indicated as "Univ of Memphis, Main Campus" on the class listing. J-1 exchanges cannot take classes located on the Lambuth Campus, the Millington Center, or other off campus locations. J-1 exchange students also cannot register for online classes.
Login and Register for Classes
Register online through the myMemphis portal as early as possible for the best course selection; once you are in the portal, look for the Registration Tools channel on your Student tab. Also:
- Refer to the Registration Quick Guide for an overview of online registration.
- If you encounter problems trying to register, refer to our Errors and Problems page.
- If you need a permit to register for a particular section, please email a comprehensive list of the classes to your assigned advisor. Each class listed should include the full course information. For example: Principles of Marketing - 80968 - MKTG 3010 - 001. Your advisor will reach out to appropriate academic department to request the course permit(s). Once the permits have been issued you will be notified by your advisor.
- Print your personal class schedule after you have registered for classes. Check it for accuracy. Look especially at time, days, room, and campus location.
- Be sure to register for a minimum of 12 US credit hours if you are undergraduate student and 9 US credit hours if you are a graduate student.
After you arrive at the UofM, you will meet with your assigned advisor during the orientation day to confirm your class registration.
Please note that students who are required to take the TB test upon arrival in Memphis will not be able to register for classes until they have taken the TB test at the UofM student health center. To view a list of countries exempt from the TB test requirement please go to the student health center webpage. If you are required to take the TB test, please arrive on the early arrival date as stated in the arrival information letter sent by the UofM study abroad office.
Intensive English Courses
J1 Exchange Students who wish to improve their English may register for part time or full time Intensive English courses through the Intensive English for Internationals (IEI) Office. To apply for IEI classes, please click the button below.