- Any international student who is a graduate of a secondary school and is 18 years of age prior to arrival in the United States may make an application to the IEI program.
- Official transcript in English showing grades and courses
- A copy of your passport photo page
- Affidavit of Financial Support signed by your sponsor(s)
- Bank letter(s) or bank statements from sponsor(s)
- Dependent (child or spouse) information (if applicable)
- Application fee: $100
Apply here and submit the documents.
Apply for your I-20 depending on your current status:
- New Students (Not holding any US Visa Status currently): This status applies to students who are currently overseas and intending to come to the US on a new F-1 visa. Please click on the button below for information on how to apply for your I-20.
- Transfer- In Students: This status applies to students who are currently attending an institution in the US and are planning to transfer their F-1 student record to The University of Memphis, please click on the button below for information on transferring your record.
- Change of Visa Status: This status applies to students who are currently in the US with a visa status other than F-1 and need to change their visa status to F-1. For example, if you are currently on an H-4, F-2, B-1, or other type of Visa and need to change to an F-1 status, please click on the button below for more information on changing your status.
Housing: If you want to live on campus, we recommend Centennial Place for the traditional dormitory experience or Carpenter Complex for apartment-style living. These locations are open during holidays and breaks for international students.
For more information about Housing click here.
- Immunizations: IEI students are required to show documentation for the following Immunizations and
- MMR- Measles, Mumps Rubella (2 Shots, positive blood work or medical/religious exemption)
- Varicella – Chicken Pox (2 Shots, positive blood work or medical/religious exemption)
- Negative Tuberculosis (TB) test or positive TB test with a clear chest x-ray
For more information about Immunizations click here.
When you application has been approved, IEI will send you an Acceptance Letter for the ESL program and an I-20. The I-20 allows you to apply for a student visa known as the F1 visa. Please note that the I-20 is not a visa, nor does it guarantee a visa.
- Applying for a Visa: You should apply for your visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence. For visa application instructions click here.
- SEVIS fee: Prospective IEI F-1 students who are applying for an initial F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate visa exempt and applying for entry to the U.S. in F-1 status at a Port of Entry are required to pay the SEVIS Fee. For more information about the SEVIS fee click here.
After obtaining the U.S. visa and arriving on campus, you need to visit the IEI office for your check in. You have to present the following documents for your check in:
- Copy of signed I-20 (for F1 and dependents)
- Visa (for F1 and dependents)
- Statement of Financial Responsibility
- Proof of Immunizations
- Local Address
- Local Phone Number
- Be prepared to pay fees
- For students from Saudi Arabia: Provide SACM financial guarantee
Please complete your Check-in Here.